Just put SPEC Stage II in, now have chattering..Help.

• Sponsors (?)

did you resurface or replace the flywheel when you did the install? and Spec clutches are known for a little chattering. I have a stage3 and it doesnt really chatter but does moan and groan when pulling away from a dead stop.

Scott

Did you install the hub with the springs facing the trans? If not the springs will rub on the flywheel bolt heads, and the clutch will drag or chatter when you take off.

jrichker said:
Did you install the hub with the springs facing the trans? If not the springs will rub on the flywheel bolt heads, and the clutch will drag or chatter when you take off.
j i honestly dont believe that is physically possible, you couldnt get the press. plate bolted down and there would be a terrible racket not chatter :shrug:

Scott

I have a spec stage II in my car and I have had it for about 2 years about 5000 miles and there really is no more chatter. Just break it in. I called spec about mine chattering when I first put it in, and they told me that it is a racing clutch, and it would chatter a little because it is designed to be released fast, and it never chatters when I am launching at 5000rpm. Hope that helps.

FiveOhhStang said:
yeah, I noticed it doesnt chatter under hard launching, but i doubt ill be launching from every light, considering its my daily driver..

How many miles do you have on it since you installed it? Mine had minor chatter for about the first 500 miles, and now there is zero chatter. If you have noticed that it doesn't chatter under hard launches, I would be worried that you might be driving too hard too soon perhaps - it's so hard to break it in slowly!!

welcome to the wonderful world of chattering specs. Yes, your chatter will likely go away. However there is a good chance it won't. This is specifically why I like the centerforce dual friction better.

I have a Spec III. I can tell you that my clutch did all kinds of things when I first installed it. I work in a shop and would never put one on a customer's car due to the strict break-in and nature of the clutch when new. Mine either would chatter or would just grab hard. Now it acts like a clutch should, but it is definatly not a stock install and go clutch. Mine will chatter a little but only if I let the clutch in real slow on an incline, which hardly happens.