King Cobra Clutch and 289 flywheel

Rmoore45

Jun 5, 2011
I recently bought this Flywheel and this clutch I received them yesterday. When I when to mock the pressure plate on the flywheel (not on car, just on table) I could not get the pressure plate bolt holes to line up with the holes in the flywheel. I tried turning it, but it seems like the pressure plate is too big. The flywheel description says "for use with a 10" & 10-1/2" clutches" but for some reason its just not working. Are there any tips or tricks to make it work?

• Sponsors (?)

The King Cobra clutch (I put one in my car) is made to attach to the stock 5.0 fox body flywheel with the 50-Oz balance weight that was used with the EFI engines. It must be used with the proper dowel pins for that flywheel.

Not if you have a 289. The 289 and early 302 are balanced for a 28-Oz weight.
I have a 1988 5.0 engine, that is why I can use it.

The flywheel description says
157 Tooth Flywheel, 28.2 in/oz. Balance for 1965-1981 289/302/351W/351C Engine.
Not 50-Oz.

The stock flywheel is 28.2 Oz and this billet steel flywheel 28.2 Oz, the difference is the bolt pattern is for the newer style of clutch. I believe that it will work, but I would like to see some other peoples opinions. I sent and email to MU asking this question, hopefully they will provide and answer.

What transmission do you have? T5? I don't think the spline is right for a top loader or 3-speed. Note that it says for 86-01 Mustang. They all had T5 or 6-speed. I guess I originally assumed a T5 or such.
Gene

Autozone was no luck it had to be a prepaid order, I tried O'Reillys, they didn't have it either.

Mustangs unlimited replied
Yes that clutch will work on this flywheel.

I'm going to go ahead and return the flywheel, order the cheaper one, this way I know it will work and on the up side I'm getting a billet steel flywheel :D

Better to upgrade than to replace.

Why not order the matching Ford Racing flywheel? This is what I am running with my KC clutch:

Ford Racing M-6375-A302B - Ford Racing Flywheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I first went the cheaper route and bought a billet steel flywheel off eBay for $100 thinking I was smart for saving money, but the damn thing was out of balance and I had a bad drivetrain vibration. So ended up doing e job twice, which pissed me off, but the FR unit was a nice piece and works perfectly. The one you ordered will probably be just fine too, but just thought I would throw this out there. Good luck with your swap, you will love the T5 upgrade:nice: