King Cobra Clutch Kit

• Sponsors (?)

Don't do it!

Lots of trouble with those clutches reported recently!

Mine simply fell apart...one side of the disc scattered itself on the fwy...it was 2 months old!

The installer for my clutch recommended staying away from the Cobra's and going with the FRPP HD instead. It's basically the same except for the pedal difficulty (Cobra is more like stock, HD is stiffer) and I think the clutch material. :shrug:

So far so good after the input shaft was fixed.

Pretty much stay away from any ford racing clutch. The clutch discs are just coming apart for no reason with very little mileage on them. Its a very common occurence right now, Valeo must have be having some serious quality problems with that clutch disc.

Ford racing has no warranty on their clutches. When my king cobra blew up in my cobra I just threw the thing away and upgraded to viper T56 during the time. For a clutch you might want to look at a stage 1 or 2 spec clutch, I have heard good things about them. I run a kevlar zoom in my 88 and a McLeod in my cobra. I like them them both, minimal pedal effort and they can take some serious abuse.

5.0's 4 ever said:
Pretty much stay away from any ford racing clutch. The clutch discs are just coming apart for no reason with very little mileage on them. Its a very common occurence right now, Valeo must have be having some serious quality problems with that clutch disc.
That's what the installer said about the King Cobra but said the FRPP he's been selling for 16 years and they are heavier duty than the KC's. :shrug:

finally some positive things about it the people with bad stuff to say about it have me worried, but it is supposed to be here on friday, mustang tunings shipping is insane. i ordered it today at 5. Well i guess any product would get good and bad reviews but i wanted to hear it from people with experence not some article about it on a webpage, thanks for all the input guys, and ill post up how it goes.

B

I have a King Cobra in my 00GT. 20k miles and still holding strong. I put it in back in the Spring time!

I had a Spec stage 1 before this one and it lasted about 5k miles and by then it was slipping so bad that it wasnt able to be driven!! SPEC SUCKS!!

SunburstGoldGT said:
finally some positive things about it the people with bad stuff to say about it have me worried, but it is supposed to be here on friday, mustang tunings shipping is insane. i ordered it today at 5. Well i guess any product would get good and bad reviews but i wanted to hear it from people with experence not some article about it on a webpage, thanks for all the input guys, and ill post up how it goes.

B

Since you won't listen to reason....good luck with it.

I was only trying to HELP a Mustang owner by sharing MY OWN experiences and those of others I have talked to.

I hope your King Cobra does it for you. If you don't drive your car HARD, it might just be OK.

Seriously....good luck bud!

Hell no stay away from the King Cobra. I have a little less then 10 k miles and its extremely soft. I cant launch it anymore because of the crappy clutch. It slips a hell of a lot too. Go with the centerforce and save yourself the trouble. :bang:
\
edit: too late. I hope you wont be racing it because it will be good the first few times but it wont last you for ****. Good luck though.

The ford racing clutches both HD version and king cobra both use the same exact valeo clutch disc. The king cobra version just has a different pressure plate for a little more holding capacity and reduced pedal effort. The king cobra clutch is the exact same clutch that was OEM in the 96-98s cobras. My stock clutch held up fine in my 96 till around 65k miles when I decided to change it when the tranny was out. My FR king cobra clutch(exact same as the one I pulled out) only lasted less than 5K miles on the car. I also personally know of two other 96-98 cobras with the exact same clutch only lasting 1k on one and 7k on the other car before the clutch disc just came apart. Both of these cars only had basic mods like exhaust and gears so it wasn't too much power. Its a manufacturing defect on valeos part. In my old 91 5.0 LX that I use to have I put a ram HD clutch(same as FR HD version) in it. I had no problems the next 9k miles I drove the car till I sold it.
I don't know if valeo ever fixed what they were doing wrong with this last batch of clutch discs but I will never buy one of their 10.5" clutches again.

Good luck with your clutch, hopefully it will not just blow up going down the road like mine did leaving you stranded and waiting for a tow.

tarch said:
I've had my clutch for about 5k miles... I don't think it feels any different than the first time i put it on... and i do have a very good feeling of my car...
agreed, still feels brand new. i have 3k miles on the new clutch and it has been hard driving. i floor it at every light... while I can :( (hasn't snowed yet)