LED Tail Light Conversion

• Sponsors (?)

It's been tried and done successfully only once or twice before by a couple of guys - the threads are in here somewhere if you search far enough back. Takes a TON of work, though, lots of fabrication, some serious electrical know-how, and it's fairly cost-prohibitive. And before you even consider it, don't even try those LED's that plug into the stock bulb sockets - they do NOT work well inside of stock lens housings AT ALL. :notnice:

Only thing I could suggest is if you felt like buying a cheap set of those universal LED trailer tail lights from Autozone or Harbor Freight and then hacking them up to mount inside of a stock tail lens/housing, but I'm not sure how you'd go about making that work with the parking and brake lamps (unless they have a built-in logic circuit, or they have seperate circuits of LED bulbs for parking and brake lamp modes). :shrug:

If you do it, you need to do the LED boards like mentioned.

The plug in bulbs do not work well in a reflector housing. LED light needs to be direct projection...ie LED board.

Thats perfect!! I actually called and talked to the owner Larry on the phone. I will be ordering mine next week. He was very friendly and told me how to put them in. I actually talked to him for a half-hour. Really good guy. I'll post some pics when I am done, maybe even a video.:D

Thats perfect!! I actually called and talked to the owner Larry on the phone. I will be ordering mine next week. He was very friendly and told me how to put them in. I actually talked to him for a half-hour. Really good guy. I'll post some pics when I am done, maybe even a video.:D
Which ones did you end up going with? And post lots of pics when you get it done.

You dont need a flasher anymore. Not with his new design. I asked him about that. It is somehow built into the board. They are plug-n-play now. He said they are very easy to install. The hardest part is running a hot lead from the fuse box or battery to the truck/hatch. That isn't even hard.