Left turn + heavy acceleration locks steering

Detector

Dec 12, 2004
When I'm turning left from a dead stop and let out on the clutch with fairly heavy acceleration I can feel some thing hitting my steering linkage and blocking it until I let off the gas. I looked last night while replace the drivers side motor mount which was bad and saw nothing out of place. Although I wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway.

Where should I look for such a problem? I have a real bad vibration when I release the clutch from a dead stop. In fact it shakes so bad the knobs come off the radio.

NOTE: Manual steering

• Sponsors (?)

The closest thing to your steering shaft is most likely what is hitting it. Either that or something is hitting your linkage underneath. I'm thinking if it only happens on hard left take off then maybe something in your linkage or suspension. Try installing your parking break and chocking the tires then have a friend stand off to the side while you let out on the clutch. They can watch the shaft to see if the exhaust is coming close enough. Also look on your steering shaft and linkage for marks where something is hitting. :shrug:

How does it handle and steer otherwise? Are you sure something is actually hitting the steering shaft. The tranny mount is a good suggestion, watch how much movement it has while taking off. Maybe a worn or loose suspension part that binds your steering up when put under that kind of load while turning??? Clutch Zbar contacting steering shaft???