LOW OIL LIGHT

96convertstang

Dec 4, 2009
I have a low oil light on and i have no leaks once so ever.. i put a brand new oil filter and brand new oil i know im not low on oil what could it be? also what does the normal reading of the gauge read? mine sits at the A on normAl

• Sponsors (?)

The gauge you are talking about is the oil pressure gauge and it is basically no more useful than an on/off switch. Either it will register pressure or it won't. If it shows no pressure, then you have problems....
If the oil level is fine on the dipstick, then the problem is most likely the sending unit.

the oil pressure guage doesn't tell you anything other than you've got at leas t 6(I think) psi of pressure - your actual oil pressure varies a lot but the gauge just sits in the same spot unless you completely lose pressure.

The low oil light tells you if the level is low in the pan at start up. When you changed your oil, did you put in 5 or 6 quarts? Where is the level on the dipstick?

Were you parked on a hill when the light came on? Did you stop and run in somewhere for just a second while the engine was still cold and the oil didn't have time to run back down to the pan? Those two situations will cause false alarms with the oil level light.

Im prety sure my 96 holds 7 quarts! mine low oil light comes on everytime i park on a incline if im low or not! First time i changed my oil i put 5qts in and some in the filter pulled the stick and it wasnt showing at all!! added a quart started it shut it off let it sit checked it and i was on add! 1 more qt and it was on full! 7qts? ohh well i guess if your a quart low its no biggie when you have that much freakin oil..

I assume from your uset name we're talking about a 96, right? Have you always put 5qts in with an oil change? My 96 takes 6qts with an oil change which is what the owners manual calls for. Ford has changed their minds several times about what kind and how much oil to put in a 4.6l from 1996 to 2004 and I'm pretty sure my manual does say 5qts on another page but 6qts makes my oil level light happy and puts the level right in the middle of the dipstick.

If you've always put 5qts in and the light's never complained before then the
sender is probably bad.

i actually have not owned the car very very long i bought the car and then had to put a tranny in it so i have had the car about 3 weeks and the kid i got it from before said it was on also... so should i go ahead and put 6 qts in?