MAC exhaust - fit, finish, & quality (no "how does it sound" I promise)?

Romeo46LV8

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2000
Philadelphia (suburbs), PA
I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust on my '07. I had the o/r MAC Prochamber w/the MAC cat-back on my '01 GT and absolutely loved the way it sounded - hence no need to convince me there. However, on my '07 I want fit/finish/quality to be top notch as well.

My question here is more about the fit, finish, & quality of everything from their headers, to mid-pipes, to axel back. On my '01, the fit was never great (though doing it in my backyard and not on a lift I'm sure added to the issues), but the pipes never came out as straight as they should be and the tips were definitely not lined up correctly. DIY related issues? I'm sure some percentage of it was related to that, but I know they had issues back then too.

Add in the fact that the tips (chrome at the time) would be covered in rust spots in just a few short months and it made for a less than desirable experience (thought nothing a brillo pad couldn't fix!).

So I ask, for the '05+ GT's, have they improved their quality at all? I do enjoy the sound of my exhaust over a stock exhaust, but nothing will compare to having a completely after market exhaust installed. Performance in this case comes secondary.

Anyone have any experience with them? Any/all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Side note: ufnavy06's post is certainly helpful and informative - it partly inspired this post - but I'm also looking for those that have had the system on for longer as well. Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)

i've had a mac axleback, i was impressed with the quality...
but not the sound. over-obnoxious to say the least.

i now have a magnapack catback, and sounds 100x's better!!

Well I've had them for a week and no problems yet! Make sure you get the locking header bolts though. I don't know if you had them on the older GT but they'll help keep everything from moving over the mileage. Worth the $50 I'd say. So far the best sound I've gotten out of my setup is from about 1000-2500 or so RPMs. In that range it sounds amazing. However, as you get further in the revs, it's somewhat hard to distinguish the difference. Maybe that's me.