Maf question

RsStanG1987

I shaved all my pubes playing this game.
10 Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Dupont PA
So i lost my maf sensor/meter what ever you wanna call it. Is there one i can get from the junkyard off another car that will be a direct replacement for mine. Theres not gonna be any 5.0 cars there so im not sure. I checked the stickies but couldnt find a clear answer.

• Sponsors (?)

There is only ONE series of meters that is a close enough match with both the injectors and the computer in the Mustang 5.0 (non Cobra). MAF meters aren't universal devices. Each and every one is custom tuned to match the characteristics of the computer. Each computer expects different results from a specific sized and shaped MAF meter and housing depending on how much air is moving through the meter. The computer looks for a specific response from the meter so it can tell a specific sized injector how much fuel to spray.

While a lot of MAF meters may appear to operate properly with a mis matched computer that doesn't mean they're right. At idle most meters do not alter the signal enough from normal parameters to foul up the A/F ratio. But as RPM builds the A/F starts to lean and can easily get so far off that the computer stops looking at the O2 sensors and looks at preprogrammed tables to fire the injectors and timing.

You can get a meter from the J/Y that is close enough to work properly though. It is specific and must be mounted into it's original housing. Read through this thread for what you need to buy and what you'll need to do to make it work.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/616246-94-95-maf-install-completed.html