Major electical issues. HELP ME!!!!

tevans720

Apr 22, 2010
Minnesota
Ok I put in a new tranny t5 in a 80 mustang. As I was putting it all together I got the starter in and turned it over a few times to make sure the teeth wouldn't grind since I changed the flywheel. Everything worked fine then so I disconnected the battery again and continued to put the exhaust, driveshaft, etc... back in.

Got it all done and went to turn it over and it did for about a second then nothing. Thought it was a dead battery as I was using a work light using battery power. Come to find out the battery was fine. So I turned the key forward and the brake warning light comes on then slowly dies out then no power till I turn back the key then back forward again and again the light slowly dies out. If I turn the key to on the quickly to start she will turn over all day long but no fire. If I stop turning it over the power is gone till I turn the key back then forward again.

Also whats odd is I turn the headlights on and the brake warning light comes on not the headlights. Its the same when I push the brake pedal no brake lights just the warning light. And same with the flashers the warning light flashes. Why that warning light? I didn't touch any electrical except the one to disconnect from the starter.

Ive got something very wrong here and cant figure it out. Everything worked just fine 1 hour before hand so what could have happened?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks,
Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure you have the main yellow wire on the hot side of the noid? Any chance you removed a ground? I was going to say safety switch but that thing sounds possessed!

Need to make sure you have the neutral safety switch wirng properly connected. And make sure it is not crossed with the backup light wiring.

Also make sure your engine to body to neg bat post grounds are good.

What trans was in the car? Does it have a clutch switch for the starter?

Check grounds, it sounds like something may be close to getting fried.

Battery is charged also took the optima out of my truck and used that as well both battery's good. As for removing a ground the only wire I removed was the starter + wire. There is not a clutch switch yet. I have to replace the pedal box anyways the quadrant lever is missing. So I took the entire dash out now I have access to every wire.

Any chance a fuseable link? I have never replaced a link before can you just buy them from say O'Reilly's? I'm still trying to figure out what these people I bought it from did to this thing. Plus it worked just fine then put my exhaust and driveshaft in then it was all *****ed up.

I'll go through and test all the fuse links and (N) safety switch. But yea possessed is right.