Massive electrical problem!!!! Need a bit of advice. PWEEZ!!

xracer22

Sep 27, 2007
york pa
OK, so i'm driving my mustang around(not even beating on it i might add) and all of a sudden BOOM! The entire car dies! When i say that i mean i lost everything electrical, car shutoff and i had no power to any accessories at all. Nothing, no hazard lights, headlights, windows, locks, radio nothing at all! NONE! So when i couldnt do anything i had i towed back home and started to look into it. I checked all the fuses inside the car and also under the hood fuses as well and none of them were blown. Battery terminals were good and tight so i got the test light out and was checking a few things and i had the light hooked to the negative terminal and just happened to check the ground wires that are connected to the rad support right by the battery( i think they go to your headlight harness) and they were hot! Like they were ground wires that were positive! So i checked them again and when i did it sparked and my whole car came back to life as if nothing happened, runs fine. I havent drove it yet thought jus put it back in the garage. I did notice that when the headlights/parking lights are on and you turn on something like a turn signal, the rest of the lights in the car will dim as well every time the turn signal blinks, which i thought was a ground issue. I do know that the headlight switch plug needs replaced. Its got a burnt spot on it hat seems to be so common for 94-04. Also when driving around with the lights on and when you go to step on the brakes you can hear a ticking noise coming from under the dash almost sounds like a relay kicking in and out. and it doesnt stop unless you let go of the brakes.(i replaced the headlight switch it didn't seem to help)

THIS IS WHAT I DID SO FAR TO TRY AND FIX IT!
I put new battery terminals on and made sure all the grounds i could find had clean bare metal to be mounted to(with electrical grease) . i checked the ground going from the battery to theblock, checked the starter wires and the alternator wires. I also added an extra 6gauge wire going from the passenger side motor mount to the sway bar mount.

PLEASE HELP WITH SUGGESTIONS/EXPERIENCES AS ANY LITTLE BIT WILL HELP! THANKS

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similar problem 2 years ago, im thinking mine might be either a ground or the alternator cable that has that oval rubber cap.
I replaced a ground cable it seemed to help some, as well as that alternator cable, but I still get similar problems like when I turn the on (stock stereo system with the Mach's in the back) turning on the lights, etc.