Mini Starter

Just got a Ford Racing Mini Starter. Whats with the disconnect plug on the smaller wire? It has the regular terminals that hook up to the posts but what would be the need for a quick disconnect plug? Just curious because I need to shorten the wire and wondering if I can just do away with the plug. The wires that came with it are about a foot too long.
 
Not sure, but I thought that most mini starters had the starter solenoid internally built in. I know the one I wired in a friend's 67 bypassed the existing solenoid and you took one of the small wires from the soleniod on the apron and ran it down to the starter along with a wire directly from the battery. Not sure if this one is how yours should be wired.
 
the big post is obviously for a hot lead from the battery. The small post is for the key "crank to start" 'wire. I believe the wire color is red with light blue tracer. This is only hot when you are trying to start the car.
dunno about any quick disconnects.. pics?