motorized hatchback door -- anyone seen 1?

alanw6

Dec 19, 2002
memphis, TN
Hi,

I've been thinking about converting the hatchback door on my 92 LX 5.0 to open remotely. I would like the hatchback to unlatch and power open when activated from an auxiliary channel of my alarm, as well as from the interior oem switch in the glove box.

Has anyone ever seen this done on a fox body (or other hatch for that matter)?

Working with relays and linear actuators won't be a problem, but I'm stuck on how to design a solid, reliable hinge mechanism. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

• Sponsors (?)

Mine used to do it.

I have an aftermarket alarm with the trunk release on another channel.

When i got my car it had these weird gas struts on the hatch from another vehicle. They were the wrong ones. Well anytime i'd pop the hatch it would open up on it's own because of them. It was kinda annoying so i got the new RIGHT ones and now it doesn't do it.

I've seen a setup similar to what you're talking about. This was at a car show, and the guy was big time into stereo contests. He had some kind of a screw setup that was hydraulic (I think). I don't know who made the unit, but they were very powerful for their compact size. Best as I recall, they were only about 8-10" long, and about 1 1/2" in circumference. The bottom section was kind of a reservoir, and the top what the screw piece that would extend out to around 2 feet. I wish I could remember who made these things.... maybe you could try the Sound and Shine Board.

edit: after re-reading your post, I think these things were what you referred to- "linear actuators".

you mean like a Linear Actuator?

They used like 5 of those on each episode of monster garage. I think they are kinda expensive, but powerful. They will do the job but require a bit of fabrication

stang hatches are heavy you will need to mount an actuator straight up near the back of the hatch and attach it near the front strut mount. if it comes down far enough you actually wouldnt need to use your latch because if your latch release malfunctioned I could see the actuator coming thru your back glass. dual actuators would be trick.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I really appreciate your advice.

AXI, thanks. You are thinking in the same direction I am. I first thought of replacing the factory hatch latch with a magnetic lock. Voltage requirements and the fact they "fail" open kept me from doing this.

I agree with you that dual actuators are a must. I have some in my garage, and will play around further with placement.

This is strictly for show purposes, as there are other motorized items in the stereo system. I'm just wrestling with how I am going to provide reliable operation without ruining the cosmetics with a bunch of large motors showing everywhere.

Anyone else cares to chime in, great. But thanks to those who have replied already.

Alan

SlimJim,

I think the quote in my post right before yours will answer that question:

"This is strictly for show purposes"

However, yes, I am quite lazy.

I'll do my best to post a video of the finished product. My amp rack is motorized, so I want the hatch to power open and then a few other things to happen, based on timed relays.

This car is being built for serious car audio competition, as well as a demo vehicle for my own purposes. I've spent a long time in 12V electronics, and this is a hobby to me now.

Alan

Wow, this thread popped back up. Hadn't given it much thought lately. Since my back surgery on 10/31 I've been limited to what work I can do to the car. Only driven it 4 times since mid-Oct. Getting better now, stronger, so the clutch motion is doable again.

Ozz, new ideas abound. I think the mustang aftermarket is in dire need of fresh products, concepts, etc. As you may remember, I am making a-pillar gauge pods that are totally different from anything else on the market. The demand has been great, and they will (finally!) go into production 1/04.

After the gauge pods hit the market, I'm looking into a cosmetically appealing gauge cage for our foxes. This is one I'm really excited about. The dash top gauge holders (like in my car) will also hit the market. We're working on some custom switch plates for the ashtray and console that don't look like they belong in a helicopter. A new wiper cowl/gauge holder is in development. Lots of ideas, not a lot of time.

Check out my new company website, this is where you'll find these goodies and more over the next few months. We plan to market manufactured items online, serve as a source for premium aftermarket accessories (autometer, bassani, etc.), and do custom work from our physical location in Memphis.

It's at :

www.speedofsoundllc.com

Let me know what you think of the site.

Thanks,

Alan :nice:

I can understand having it pop up automatically, but to close? Seems like a serious misallocation of effort, opening something is important if you have stuff in your hands, and its just a big hassle of lifting that heavy ass hatch, but shutting it takes like 1 second a little effort, and I couldn't imagine a situation in which you would want to shut your hatch from a distance

JadeFalcon said:
I can understand having it pop up automatically, but to close? Seems like a serious misallocation of effort, opening something is important if you have stuff in your hands, and its just a big hassle of lifting that heavy ass hatch, but shutting it takes like 1 second a little effort, and I couldn't imagine a situation in which you would want to shut your hatch from a distance

If you knew me personally, you would know a serious misallocation of effort is a regular occurence. :D

This motorized hatch is not for convenience, like some new SUVs, but to complement other motorized items in the stereo install.

I agree with you that shutting the hatch is easy (just get it started falling!). However, if it's going to raise under its own power it's also going to have to close under its own power. This is the nature of linear actuators, you have to reverse the polarity to get them to retract (close).

Alan