MUST READ: Break-In Secrets

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
PLEASE Discuss :)

Just thought I'd share this with you all. I brought this up in one of the "Should I Break-In My Gears?" thread, and someone wanted me to find the original website, so here it is:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Although the examples shown here are motorcycle engines,
these principles apply to all 4 stroke engines:

Street or Race Motorcycles, Cars, Snowmobiles, Airplanes & yes ...
even Lawn Mowers !!
( regardless of brand, cooling type, or number of cylinders. )
What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

BreakInF3Pistons.jpg
The piston on the right was broken in as
per MotoMan's instructions.

Attachments

• BreakInF3Pistons.jpg
    BreakInF3Pistons.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Sponsors (?)

I didnt read the article but as far as engines go, you dont have to take it real easy, but dont run the dog piss out of it either. The idea is just to keep RPM's variable. When the engines are made, you get the crosshatch in the cylinders. Keeping RPM's varied you allow the rings to seat properly. Not doing so will result in abnormal oil consumption.

what I was taught was break it in the same way you're going to drive it... that way there's no suprises if you're easy when you break it in, then you romp on it all the time... what do you expect will happen, but if the motor learns form the get go that this is the way it's gonna be, it's used to it.

Huh....nice of them to clean up the piston he broke in like brand new and let the other one sit in it's own filth. Could they have been any more bias with that visual comparison. :rlaugh:

thank you Brian. i feel like im the only person here who finds that write-up quite biased.

running an engine too hard, too soon will cause the rings to expand too much with all the heat, and wont allow the cylinder walls to be smoothly worn down, which might lead to a piston siezing up