Mustang keeps randomly Stalling Please Help!

97woodward

Feb 25, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I posted this issue a while back , but it just happened again. I will repost the situation:

97 GT automatic with 87k on it. The car as a few modifications done but nothing major (no blower or anything). The problem Im having has occured since I first bought the car two years ago.

The problem is the car stalling out randomly. It will, or only has stalled out when im at a stop with my foot on the brake. It dies normally so quickly that i dont even have time to check to see if the rpms are dropping. I have replaced my IAC valve also. It has occurred probably around 5 times in two years.

The car will stall out, I will try to start it and it seems like it almost catches but not quite for around 15 min. The time it takes for it to get started has increased each time it has stalled. Also, when I am trying to start it about after 2 min of trying it starts to give off a very strange smell I cant identify. It doesnt shoot a trouble code or anything and typically after i do get it started again it will show NO signs of stalling again until about 3 months later when it randomly happens again.

I have recently done a full tune-up and got my transmission serviced to try and solve the problem but sure enough one of the random stall outs happened about 3 weeks after the tune up. I have taken it to the Ford dealership and they pretty much tell me the same as everywhere- If it doesnt happen while they drive it they cant diagnose it. And it will cost a ton for them to just go through possibilites, so I am trying to get your opinion of what some of the best places to start are.

The car has given me some trouble starting before in the past which was caused by my theft system activating (i believe). The theft light would flash and it took around 3-4 min for it to start, it did that about twice and hasnt happened in a long time. I dont think this would cause it to stall out though. The car normally starts perfectly though.

The only other thing I would like to mention to you about the situation is something new that happened after this most recent stall out. The car made a strange clunking noise which seemed to occur under the hood right as it started up after the 15-20 min of trying. After it did that it is continueing to make that strange clunking noise nearly every time it starts. The split second before the car will fire up I here this strange clunk that is somewhat hard to describe. Any help on this is very appreciated. Its making driving not nearly as much fun. Its in the shop now getting some suspension work and gears installed as well as a tune, Im hoping he'll find something but if you have some ideas I would like to run it by him. Thanks alot and sorry soo long!

Ok now I talked to a master mechanic today and he said that it sounds like the T.P. S (Throttle Positioning system i think) could be out of calibration. Does this sound like this could be the problem? Ive replaced the fuel filter already and have had the fuel system cleaned. I did an entire full tuneup and tried to replace any of the basic problems it may be. So ive got suggestions from a few people about this. The T.P.S is the most recent suggestion, but ive also been told that the Crank Sensor may need to be replaced or the ignition control module. Another person told me that it may be the IAT sensor and that i should replace that, what do you guys think? This problem is killing me, I am always in fear when i drive now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The only other thing I would like to mention to you about the situation is something new that happened after this most recent stall out. The car made a strange clunking noise which seemed to occur under the hood right as it started up after the 15-20 min of trying. After it did that it is continueing to make that strange clunking noise nearly every time it starts. The split second before the car will fire up I here this strange clunk that is somewhat hard to describe. Any help on this is very appreciated. Its making driving not nearly as much fun. Its in the shop now getting some suspension work and gears installed as well as a tune, Im hoping he'll find something but if you have some ideas I would like to run it by him. Thanks alot and sorry soo long!

Ok now I talked to a master mechanic today and he said that it sounds like the T.P. S (Throttle Positioning system i think) could be out of calibration. Does this sound like this could be the problem? Ive replaced the fuel filter already and have had the fuel system cleaned. I did an entire full tuneup and tried to replace any of the basic problems it may be. So ive got suggestions from a few people about this. The T.P.S is the most recent suggestion, but ive also been told that the Crank Sensor may need to be replaced or the ignition control module. Another person told me that it may be the IAT sensor and that i should replace that, what do you guys think? This problem is killing me, I am always in fear when i drive now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well mine is doing something similar that started yesterday.86k on it.I get that weird hard to describe clunk at start up almost everytime,but before that I was having stall probs,replaced the plugs helped to keep it from stalling but i still get that clunk,and now it feels like the clutch or something is grabbing while driving and shifting through the gears,kinda like trying to go while putting some pressure on the brakes,800 miles ago had new clutch and tranny rebuild,please help...im so lost.