My car finally idles right...WOOHOO

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
Daytona Bch, FL
thanks for the tip Andy.. I'll have to do that to my car. It wants to stall whenever I come to a stop so I have to hit the brake, tap the gas, hit the brake, tap the gas and it gets old fast.

• Sponsors (?)

Since I added this 93 Cobra I have not been able to get it to idle with the IAC plugged in....
My old Explorer was mint...all I did was set the TPS and blam...it was on the money....this set-up has been a pain...

Finally after buying a used Fox IAC..i tryed it again....no dice...the idle would hang like a mofo.....DAMN...unplugged it again...

i searched around last week and came across this link in the 5.0 tech forum...

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/maintain.html

I followed steps 3 and 4 to a tee.....DAMN...I was rewarded with my old nice idle back....no more hanging, dying when cold in the morning, dying at a stop sign with the AC running...its freakin nice to have it back again...
the thing that pissed me off the most was my gas milage...it went to chit??? alot of that had to do with the TPS being wack....once i did step 3...i checked the TPS voltage (which i had set at .099 a month AGO) it was 1.3...hence i think, the hanging idle....I had adjusted the throttle for this intake install...this is a no no unless you re-set the TPS....I DIDN'T DO THAT BEFORE....
i reset it to .099 last nite...ran it to WOT 3 times over til it held steady when shut...i settled on .098...rechecked today and it held at .098...
not only does it drive so much smoother but my gas gage hardly moved, to and fro from work, 32 miles round trip....sucking fuel down bigtime???? this could be the culprit???

just thought id throw it up as i know others have have these issues to ....I'll be damned...this write-up works..... :spot:

I was amped this morning...nice started. cracked the throttle she comes right back like normal...was sweet....I knew I had to do the whole 9 yards to fix it...i just said screw it and did it up right...
Geez, if i had the fan on and came to a stop sign it would die...P.I.T.A.

while i was at it i did a vacuum test, since its cammed some...she pulls 18lbs at idle.... :D

What kinda cam are you running in there? I have the 2031 and when i first finished my H/C/I it idled perfectly. Now a couple weeks later it surges almost everytime i come to a stop, doesnt ever die surges for a bit then idles smoothly. I dont get how it was perfect and then just gets worse like that.

WhiteDevil said:
What kinda cam are you running in there? I have the 2031 and when i first finished my H/C/I it idled perfectly. Now a couple weeks later it surges almost everytime i come to a stop, doesnt ever die surges for a bit then idles smoothly. I dont get how it was perfect and then just gets worse like that.

I run the Steeda 19, mine was great the first day or two than started that to..

the cams doing it....try the link...if all else is cool, then do as I....do steps 3 and 4...reset that idle to more like 800 or so...thats were mine is, then do the rest...
you still may get slight surges from the cam...thats life... :D but it shouldn't be way up and down idling so to say...how much vacuum you seeing at idle?? that'll tell you if you have some vac leaks to....the 2031s LSA should be around mine, 114 ??
cams pull less vac, which kinda leads into the surging....

i'm still under the understanding even if you do the Fox TB swap the TPS itself is adjustable but the computer resets everytime you start it up. Am I correct? Because in reality its not the TPS thats the culprit its the Computer.

Valid point....its been mentioned many times over...I personally have never noticed it changing....will keeps tab on it tho...
suppposedly the EEC is preset to do a 650 idle and will "relearn" its way back...we shall see...
Thats some voodoo chit.... :D