My car keeps stalling and cutting out. Any suggestions?

SuperStang83

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2001
Boyertown, Pa
I live in Pa, and travel to Dover which is a 2-3 hour ride once a month. The last 2 months or so the car has been cutting out and stalling when it was cold, but never did it when it was warmed up. It would typically do it about 3 times then would run great. It never really stalled that I had to restart the car. I just kept my foot on the gas where it had been. The car would only cut off for about half a second, and I wouldn't do anything and it would start itself back up and run normal.

Just last night on my way home from Dover the first half of the trip my car stalled about 25 times going down the road, and one time it sounded like it backfired out of the exhaust. It doesn't really matter the speed when the car cuts out, I could be going 5mph or 65 mph, and I never do anything it just starts right back up. For the last hour or so of my trip it ran great and didn't cut out at all.

i haven't had a chance to look at the car yet, and am unsure of where to start looking. Does anyone have any idea why it is acting up or had a similar experience? Thank you.

Jacob

• Sponsors (?)

This sounds like a faulty PIP sensor, though a faulty TFI module will produce similar symptoms. Since both are mounted on the distributor in a Fox body and both succumb to repeated heat cycles with age, your best bet might be to replace the whole distributor.

Another thought Jacob: Did you ever replace the ignition switch since you've had the car? It's 20 bucks (dealer) and 20 minutes to replace. If you haven't done it, you might want to as a preventative measure.

Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly

Thanks for the link JT. I'll definitely look into that since it hasn't been changed for at least 3 years. Do you think that could be a reason for what is going on? What would the symptoms be for a bad ignition switch?

So what have you been up to bro? Ever since I've gotten back to Pa I have been unable to get a hold of you! I lost my phone about 6 months ago during our move and no longer have your number. If you don't mind PMing me your number, I'd love to catch up! Talk to you later bro!

Jacob

Hey Hissin - At first I would think the IAC was having issues... until he mentioned 25 restarts on first half of trip.

Could this be a bad/dying ECT on it's last leg ???

When things warm up, problems seem to go away...

Thoughts ???

Another thought Jacob: Did you ever replace the ignition switch since you've had the car? It's 20 bucks (dealer) and 20 minutes to replace. If you haven't done it, you might want to as a preventative measure.

Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly

Hey Hissin - At first I would think the IAC was having issues... until he mentioned 25 restarts on first half of trip.

Could this be a bad/dying ECT on it's last leg ???

When things warm up, problems seem to go away...

Thoughts ???

At first it seemed that the problem went away when it warmed up, but yesterday the car was plenty warm when this was happening. I had been driving for over an hour and it was happening, but the second half of the trip it didn't do it at all and it ran perfectly! Stuff is frustrating at times.

Jacob

With the ignition switch, I've had them degrade on other cars and the symptoms were kinda similar. It's just something to check real quick (wiggle test the wiring and tap the switch connector while the car is idling). When things start to overheat, the wiring starts to burn and the connector starts to melt, which can lead to intermittant contact.

Don, the ECT isn't a bad idea. What's weird is that the car restarted itself. I think it's an actual component burping because if it was a sensor, the output would not change in one second (the ECT would read the same right before and after the stall, and it would not recatch unless something changed from when it stalled). It feels like a bad TFI, coil or ig switch. I'm just guessing aloud here however.

Jacob, I'll PM you my number. I have issues getting calls at the house (no signal). It'd be cool to catch up mang. :nice: