My first drive...an objective view

r22tech

Nov 6, 2004
atlanta
First, I would like you to know that I DO have a Mustang GT on order which is due in early December, but today was my first time DRIVING this new machine. I have had previous Mustang GTs, in the 5.0 flavor, and have had numerous other sports cars, the best ones being a 93RX7 and a 1985 Carrera Targa for different reasons. The reason for THIS Mustang was to give me my adreneline rush in pure pulling power, while also being less flashy and much more affordable-I wasn't looking for a car that would have the handling and engineering of the German and Japanese models referenced above, rather, just a car with brute force, loud noises from engine/exhaust, and that kind of beastly driving character that my previous Mustangs possessed. My first drive proved me to be VERY WRONG in my assumptions of the all-new Mustang GT...
The car was a Torch Red/Charcoal Premium w/ IUP, Shaker1000,5-speed, and Standard 17" wheels. My salesman handed me the keys and said, "Have fun...let me know how you like the tires, because I'm not too sure how they work on this car." I replied,"No problem, I'm kinda interested myself as they seem a little shy of what would be required on a car like this." My impression of the outside was basically the same, I had seen them in person already and thought the styling was very attractive without looking too flashy a-la Porsche. I will say that the car was parked next to a V6 without the spoiler so I got a good look at the rear, with and without spoiler, and I have concluded that this car looks better WITH the spoiler. As I entered the car I was greeted by beautifully tailored seats and a flashy dash, this was not my Dad's 64 1/2! No problems with the interior, it did NOT look cheap and to save alot of writing time: I'm 5'7" and I fit perfectly with a good view and a good grip on the wheel and stick-no Knuckle-Bustin' on shifts whatsoever!!! Everything was ergonomically correct and easy to function, including the "My Color" which I could care less about anyway. So I fired up this beast and proceeded on my first drive....
The car started and idled smoothly, no shaking or vibrations present. I drove gingerly as the car was warming up and enjoyed the rather sedate shifting of the new 5-speed shifter. I didn't FEEL any power under my right foot waiting to be unleashed, it just kind of felt like a normal car and it felt HEAVY. I wasn't expecting this, I figured it would feel nimble and ready to prance at the drop of a dime. No problem, this is going to be my daily driver anyway so the unexpected proved pleasant. I listened to music on the Shaker1000 while I waited for the 4.6 to warm-up. Sounds really good and absolutely sounds BETTER when you turn the volume up! This system begs to be blaring. You need a good stereo in this car because it is SEDATE without it, unlike others have suggested, the engine and exhaust are just not that exciting sounding to me. I think the magazines and message boards have spoiled the experience for me because my expectations were SOOOO HIGH! I half expected the car to sound like a track racer, but I have heard Sedans with a throatier exhaust note and a better engine growl at these lower speeds. Well now that the engine is warm it is time to see what she can do!!!
I punched it in second to redline and shifted to 3rd in a blink of an eye...feels pretty quick but not "Holy $hit" quick. Again, it felt sedate compared to other cars I've owned, including the 88 Mustang GT Conv. I used to have. I was alittle disappointed since I know this car is quicker than ALL of them. So I did some standing start runs through 3rd gear: Fast-YES, Chirped 2nd-YES, chirped 3rd-a little, Impressed- a little. I can remember the first time I drove my 93 RX7 and I was almost freightend at the power that thing possessed-this was not the case with the new Mustang GT. I blame the magazines, you all, and my now more experience with fast cars for this. My expectations were just entirely TOO HIGH! Low 5's from 0-60 is FAST, I know this, faster than probably everthing I've ever owned, but my adreneline was on "slow-release" with this car. Not a real big deal, this was the same thing with my 85 Carrera-0-60 in 6.1 seconds didn't feel that exciting to me in THAT car. I was done with the accelerating test and moved on to the handling.
I took it to a road that has alot of S's and horse-shoes that I used to drive my 911 on that where fairly safe from people and other motorists. These turns can be taken at speeds from about 40mph-75mph on exit. Finally, the beast was unleashed !!! I cannot express my delight in the way this car composes itself in the turns. Turn-in is crisp with everything you need after sitting under your right foot! This car can transfer its' weight with the best of them and I felt and WAS in total control at speeds ABOVE what my 911 could handle. PURE ADRENELINE RUSH OVERLOAD . I must be from a different planet after reading the reviews on this car and experiencing it the way I did, there's just no way we were driving the same car! It makes me wonder if people are writing to their target audience instead of giving them the truth. I have training in performance driving through D.E.'s and Autocross and would recommend to anyone with a new 05 Mustang GT to get out there and LEARN what this car can actually do!
I am very excited about the arrival of my new MustangGT, only now it is for different reasons. So what did I tell the salesman about the tires when I dropped the car off....."they work just fine as they are-leave 'em on mine, I won't be needing a swap!" Handed him the keys and went on my merry way

• Sponsors (?)

Part of the feeling slow is probably that your used to fast cars. I test drove a TTRX7 and thought it was a turd. I plan on selling my car to get a 05 GT, and I know that it'll feel slow compared to my WRX. My 0-60 is in the low 4's to high 3's and I think I can pull high 11's. But, I won't find out because by the time the local track opens back up it should be gone.

Does that make the new GT slow? No it just means it needs some mods!

You may simply be suffering from an Adrenaline resistance. I've noticed recently that I seem to have developed this resistance.

I recently took a trip to the local thrill park, Six Flags - Texas

I rode all the big coasters, although I did feel a rush it wasn't nearly the rush I have had in the past from coasters, even simpler coasters.

I remember coasters as being exceedingly scary, the adrenaline rush would have my heart racing, my palms sweating and my knees shaky.

Even more recently I had to dodge a deer on a deserted country road at nite. Car got a bit sideways but I corrected. Missed the dear by inches.
In the past this certainly resulted in slight Nausea, sweaty palms, shaky motor control, all the classic symtoms of the aftermath of an Adrenaline rush.

Adrenaline like any drug can develop into an addiction and ultimatly to resistance. Thats why you see those adrenaline junkies doing all those crazy things like sky diving and base jumping, normal thrills just don't do it for those people anymore.

racinready300ex said:
Part of the feeling slow is probably that your used to fast cars. I test drove a TTRX7 and thought it was a turd. I plan on selling my car to get a 05 GT, and I know that it'll feel slow compared to my WRX. My 0-60 is in the low 4's to high 3's and I think I can pull high 11's. But, I won't find out because by the time the local track opens back up it should be gone.

Does that make the new GT slow? No it just means it needs some mods!
Damn, your pulling roughly the same numbers as a Ferrari Enzo in a WRX? What do you got on it a jet engine?

Mr_dcj2001 said:
Damn, your pulling roughly the same numbers as a Ferrari Enzo in a WRX? What do you got on it a jet engine?

lol it sounds like it. It's the stock motor with bolt on's, in fact I have enough parts waiting to go on to get me in the mid 11's. But, I know I will blow the motor if I keep pushing it, and the the tranny will go again. So I decided it's time to get rid of it.

My 0-60 is calculated based on old 1/8 mile time's, it was 4.19 and it's noticable faster now. AWD is a wonderfull thing from 0-60 :D

And it's a 02 wrx NOT a STi :nice:

I think the new 4.6 is designed to be smooth in power delivery, and the refined ride and tight chassis also don't make the car feel "violent". I would love to have an 05 GT as my daily driver. Too bad the damned salesman wouldn't let me test drive one, because I might have bought it if I had gone to the twisties from your description.

If you want pure pulling power, brute force, snap your neck acceleration, loud noises, and beastly driving characteristics, get a 5.0 and build it up. I guarantee your wish will be fulfilled. LOL