Need Fuel system help!

Horsepower67

Feb 1, 2004
Ok, my stock fuel pump is dying, and I happen to have a good buddy at a shop that has given me a Vortec 50/70 T-Rex external pump with a billet pressure regulator. Both lightly used, but both good. He upgraded the car to a full Aeromotive system. Can I just add this pump in, or do I need to get that factory pump out of there? I'm betting that I have to remove that thing, at least to get rid of the code if nothing else.... Should I put in a new in-tank pump, or put in one of those inserts that eliminates the internal pump?

Also, how do I properly set my fuel pressure with this new set-up? I've heard that you just remove the vacuum line from the pressure regulator, plug it, crank the car, then adjust pressure according to reading on fuel pres gauge (I have one on the schrader valve). Is this correct?

Aside from this, why does my car always sound like it has an exhaust leak? Especially on the passenger side. Sounds like a bad header gasket (Hooker Super comps) All new pipes, header gaskets. Car has always done this, even when it was all stock. I can't figure it out. I've replaced those damn gaskets like five times.... It is sluggish, especially off idle if that helps you diagnose my problem. Could my low fuel pressure be making sound that way somehow?

• Sponsors (?)

yes you have to take that fuel pump out they should have a peice that replaces it so the external pump can suck through that. you might have a blown head gasket so do a compression test. or it could be a warped header gasket from not sealing right did you scrap the heads with a razor first to remove the carbon and junk fried on there? if not then your gasket will warp and not seal right and no matter how many times you re-place it it's gonna keep blowing.

Yep, get a 255 intank to match the T-rex (the T-rex is external and will not work by itself with the stock tank), if you are in need of that much fuel, if your car is fairly stock I'd probably just replace the intank pump. You are correct about how to adjust fuel pressure. Are your header flanges warped? If so have them surfaced. Also if they are solid flanges you could cut them to get better sealing from each individual primary. If your flanges are straight I've had good luck with copper gaskets with copper RTV. Make sure the front and rear primaries are sealed (1,4,5,8) thats where I have always had problems, exhaust leaks suck, good luck!