Need help and suggestions for Bellhousing / Clutch...help guys...

bishop1911

Apr 11, 2005
I am almost at the point here where I need to buy the tranny and all related parts. After a lot of thought, I have decided that the TKO 600 was the way to go , because I am running 3.73 gears and want that extra "overdrive" gear to run on the highway or higher speeds if need be. I am looking for suggestions as to what would be a good fit for a flywheel, bellhousing and clutch. I have the 390 GT engine, being built with roller rockers, aluminum intake, edelbrock carb, etc, etc. Basically, I expect the HP to be in the 400 neigborhood. I have not been able to find a bellhousing to match the tranny I want for the engine and would like to see if others have suggestions. Thanks guys.

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

The FE bellhousings have the same bolt pattern for the TKO, but you'lll need a 1" spacer between them for the TKO's longer input. The Car FE bell (Stang and Fairlane) is shorter by 5/8" than the FE truck bell. So be aware of this. Then there's always an aftermarket bell, but in a Stang that's not going to be drag raced regularly, these come with a price, they're huge, and take up much more room than the factory bells do. The 1" spacer is sold by some of the classic Mustang suppliers.

Tranny

Thanks for the help. Do you have a reccomendation for a place to buy this stuff? I have nothing at all, need to buy all parts and would like to get them at a reasonable price and get knowledgable people who will give me the right things. Thanks for the help.

Jon

Put a scattershield on it. If you have ever seen pictures of a clutch explosion you will quickly decide that you need one.

I worked with Modern Driveline. The scattershield they sold me was the proper size such that I did not need a spacer. Kept my Z-bar clutch linkage. 347 stroker with a T5.

Put a scattershield on it. If you have ever seen pictures of a clutch explosion you will quickly decide that you need one.

I worked with Modern Driveline. The scattershield they sold me was the proper size such that I did not need a spacer. Kept my Z-bar clutch linkage. 347 stroker with a T5.

You need to keep in mind, he's got a big block when you suggest a scattershield. :D Ever worked on a 67-70 big block Stang? Adjusted the clutch, dealt with it and headers? :shrug: I have. It ain't fun. Even without a scattersheild.