Need help, car missfires and stumbles.

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Alright, after getting me new combo back on the raod I have notice some issues. The car after it is well warmed up it begins to stumble and runs like garbage under 2500 RPM. Ill describe everything it does to the best of what I can see.

After about 30 minutes of driving (the car has reached full temperature well before then) I notice the car runs different. Today it happened at a stop light. The car was ideling about 700-800 RPM, and nice and smooth. Alll of a sudden the RPMs dropped to about 500-600 and it was stumbling. This happens everytime it does this, the idle drops low. After starting to drive the car stumbles and bucks badly, it is almost hard to drive under 2000 RPM. It is also harder to go from a stop because of this. On the highway it is almost impossible to be under 1800 RPM without it running like garbage.

Now for what I feel it is. The car has a 90,000-100,000 mile stock fuel pump in it. I have plans to drop in a 190 l/hr pump soon. It also has stock 19 lb injectors that could very well be dirty. I changed plugs, but one of my wires the boot which connects to the spark plug is ripped. I would think it was these but the fact it runs fine for 30 mins, leaves me to believe its not that causing it. Also I am using a borrowed coil, which is not new, could this be the issue? One last thing is the )2 sensors are mismatched and old, and the cap and rotor are original to my knowledge!

If anyone can tell me what the symptoms could be caused by it would be appreciated. I have intentions to instal a new coil, new fuel pump, new wires and maybe cap and rotor. Do you guys suggest new )2s, and maybe some new or 24 lb (I wil calibrate the MAF) injectors?

The car has not been tuned also since I got it out, so the timing is not advanced, and the Fuel Pressure has not been touched since last year!

• Sponsors (?)

WOW. My car does the exact same thing. I have yet to find a cause of this i tried a new cap and rotor and that didnt help. If you find the problem plz let me kno.
Danny

It might be the boot. My old Celica did the same thing, and usually when hot also. I changed a bunch of things on it, and never thought to recheck the newly changed plug wires. In the end I found a crack in the thing, and changing the wires fixed up nicely.

Ya it could very much be wires causing the problem.. When its idling spray water on all the wires out of a spray bottle and see if you can see them arcing.. Also change your fuel filter if you haven't already.. A cloged filtet can cause all sorts of problems

My first stang did it and I replaced everything. Plugs, wires, coil, cap + rotor, ignition module, fuel filter, air filter, and had the intake removed and cleaned. After spending about $300 it ended up being the throttle position sensor which was about $5 at autozone.