NEED HELP FAST! Are V6 and GT Fuel Tanks/Pump Assemblies the Same?

• Sponsors (?)

Try this. Go to car-part.com and search on the part you are interested in. If the WEB application does not ask any model specific information, you can assume it doesn't matter.

OBTW, when I do this search for the fuel pump, it DOES ask for the engine size. When I search on the fuel tank, it only asks about standard or low ems.

IMO, likely the tank is the same. The pump is not.

Yea, that's what I did. And I'm now currently calling around looking for parts. I assumed the fuel tanks were the same based on your reasoning, but I wanted someone else to confirm.

The thing with the fuel pumps: I'm sure the pumps are different, or at least I assume they are, but I'm putting in an SVT Focus pump. So the pump itself doesn't matter to me. It's the assembly/sending unit I'm concerned about. It gives different "pump assembly" choices, but I'm not sure exactly what is different.

Here, check this out. Buy 1998 Ford Mustang Parts | FordParts.com It is all the different Ford parts for the pump/assembly. I looked through the diagrams (albeit not real closely), but I couldn't see the difference in the V6 and GT parts diagrams. But I'd rather be sure.

Ok, let me see if I can answer your question. Consider that when Ford makes a product like the Mustang, they want to keep the differences between the product lines to the min. This means that more often than not, the car's wiring harness is the same between V6, GT, and DOHC (except when there HAS to be a difference).

I compared the fuel pump wiring diagrams between the 3.8 Liter V6 and the 4.6 liter V8. Guess what! The diagrams are nearly identical. Same connector numbers, connector pins, number of wires, and wire colors.

So... I figure that means you could buy a V6 tank and put a GT fuel pump into it.

I also suspect that you could use a V6 fuel pump basket and swap out the pumps within it. Since the electrical connectors are the same, should work with no issues. Fuel sending units should be the same by the same reasoning.

Note, I compared the wiring diagrams for the 2002 model year. I suspect the reasoning will hold for your MY. Also note that there is a standard version and a Calf low ems version. Don't know what those differences are. But it is likely that if doing business with local salvage yards, the cars will come from your area.

Hope this helps.