need help! i'm top stupid

i own a 90 gt vert. the other day i was going to put the top down and nothing happend.no motor sound, nothing.so i put it down manually.when i got home that evening,it went up great,but still would not go down.today i put the top down manually,this afternoon it wouldnt go up.no noise nothing.so i pulled the backseat out so i could see the motor.using an outside power source,i connected a hot and ground to the motor and it went up beutifully.reversed the wires and it went down perfectly.is this a switch problem or what?anyone experienced this or have any ideas?:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

when a relay is hung in the open or closed position it will make odd things happen. i would check your wires at the starter relay on the hot side. those fusible links can burn through and still look as if they are good. you may have a wire that is almost worn through, therefore it makes contact sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. good luck.

use a multimeter and ensure you have power to the switch if so straight wire at the switch(bypass the switch) to see if motor operates if so replace switch but your going to have to back track wire system with a multi-meter to find problem if you don't have a meter wal-mart sells them for about $20....goodluck.

i don't know if your year model has to have the emergency brake applied for vert motors to work but if so i would also check the emergency brake switch too. and if so also see if brake light on dash is working when the emergency brake is applied if not the switch could be faulty or worked its way loose. goodluck...

FWIW, my '88 doesnt need the ebrake applied to operate the top. That's a good thought - I know some newer cars require the brake to be applied or the car to be in Park.

Probe a given relay and post the results. If one were to know if it is a control or power side issue, that would help.

There is a CB in the circuit - it's next to the left side of the dash (I very well could be wrong on the location. It's been awhile; I would have to search my old stuff). I bet that's the fuse you were expecting to find.

If easier for you, Bill's idea to probe the switch works fine too (the switch is on the control side). If it fails, you know the issue is upstream. If it passes, test the terminals in the relay socket.

Good luck.

94 was the first year of the e brake being set to put the top down. My 93 doesn't have to have the ebrake set.

Bill has some great places to check to see where you are getting power and where you aren't.

Good luck