Need help with convertible top

OK- I have at least 2 problems with my top.
1- one of the side cables snapped--are they easily enough replaced or is the 150 bucks the local place wants to do it reasonable?

2- the top is stuck. THe motor wont turn, the relays just click. I had the brushed replaced in teh motor and the contacts cleaned a week ago. It stopped again 5 days later. I took the motor back to the shop that did it and they said it tested fine for them. Where else should I be checking? I dont appear to have a fluid leak and the level was good--I had previously topped it off with ATF dexron 3 (they no longer make 2).

Any tips / advice is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have to remove the motor to put fluid in it man? Im curious because that makes me wonder if that might be whats wrong with my top too! I cant get my top to completely come down...goes down say maybe 95% but the very tiny last bit, it wont move at all.

I had a problem with my 85' years ago and couldn't afford to replace the ram so I turned it into a manual top. I unhooked the rams from the top. It was easy to get down and a bitch to get back up (you had to stand in on the back seat to get it up). You might try un-hooking the rams, leaving the top up, and seeing what type of travel you get from the rams.

As for the cable, I've never replaced one on a mustang but I replaced one on a Cadillace and it was pretty easy. I'd deal with the motor first ... if you can't get it to work, have your local top shop work on both.

Do you have to remove the motor to put fluid in it man? Im curious because that makes me wonder if that might be whats wrong with my top too! I cant get my top to completely come down...goes down say maybe 95% but the very tiny last bit, it wont move at all.

Mine won't go completely down unless I un-tuck the fabric from the two pivot points (on top and on the rear quarters).

There is a rubber plug on the side, it is ridiculously hard to get out, but that is how you check the fluid. There is a bolt on the same end which I assume is like a drain plug, but I have always checked / added with the rubber one. I hope this helps.

I was told that the motors "get old" and although it spins when tested out of the car, it may not be able to spin under the load of the pump. I plan on taking the whole assembly out tomorrow and taking it all apart and seeing what I find. I will then either fix it or have to order a new one anyway.

I had a problem with my 85' years ago and couldn't afford to replace the ram so I turned it into a manual top. I unhooked the rams from the top. It was easy to get down and a bitch to get back up (you had to stand in on the back seat to get it up). You might try un-hooking the rams, leaving the top up, and seeing what type of travel you get from the rams.

As for the cable, I've never replaced one on a mustang but I replaced one on a Cadillace and it was pretty easy. I'd deal with the motor first ... if you can't get it to work, have your local top shop work on both.

I thought about making it manual, but dont want to be like out to dinner with my wife and fighting with it to get it up :rlaugh:

The local place said they can and will do the cable, but dont mess with the hydraulic lines, motor, etc. I will investigate further tomorrow. I manually forced it up so at least I can drive it until I figure this mess out.

my 89 vert came manual.. LOL.. someone removed the motor but left all the lines and rams.. im thinkin about keepin it that way.. dont want to deal with the trouble you guys are now having :D

How hard is it to put the top up with no motor in there?

If I manually put the top up with the motor out but the pump/reservoir still in, does that mean I put air in the lines now?