Need Help With Engine Wire Harness

Herrerarudy33

Sep 22, 2017
Hi guys I'm new to the forumsand I have a problem/question. I have a 2000 mustang GT and my motor gave out so I bought a wrecked 2002 mustang GT with 87 k for real cheap .My question is can I pull the motor out complete with the harness and drop it in my 2000 and just reconnect the harness to pin connector, just that easy?Or is the harness different plug is the same but I mean wires are they all the same .Also want to add that my 2000 has the iat sensor on the intake pipe and the 2002 does not.. need help guys since I'm already have dropped the motor in .Also are they any difference like injectors sensors from the two year cars ..Or should I just put my original engine harness ..thanks in advanced guys

• Sponsors (?)

The absolute safest thing to do when swapping motor from a different model year is to re-use the original electronics. However the differences between a 2000 and 2002 are minimal enough to likely allow the 2002 motor wiring harness to work.

However, don't assume there aren't any differences in the wiring between the two model years. I'm aware there are differences in:
  • The AC clutch control
  • The CCRM
  • The IAC type (black vent vs non-vented)
  • The MAF and IAT
  • The size of the PVC lines.

However, I would be sure to swap in and use the original:
  • The original black vented IAC valve. EXPECT idle problems if the PCM is tuned for a black vented IAC and a non-vented version is used.
  • IF the top color of the fuel injectors are different, then re-use the original fuel injectors. However, I strongly urge having any set of fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested before putting back into service. Consider a service such as InjectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new. Cheaper than new.
  • The PCV line is a different size. So you will need to use the throttle body from the 2002.
  • You already know about the combined MAF and IAT in the 2002. Use the MAF that matches the wiring harness. IE, if the 2002 wiring harness is used, use the MAF from the 2002.
  • I seem to recall there being differences in the heater to firewall lines. The 2000 uses clamp style where as the 2002 uses quick disconnect fittings.
  • I believe that all other sensors will be compatible between the two model years. This is very close to a "plug and play" swap.
As far as other possible stumbling blocks:
  • I hope you used new motor mounts. The Mustang is very hard on motor mounts.
  • DOUBLE check that the motor grounding strap from the left hand motor mount to the car's frame rail is in place and securely connected. EXPECT problems if this step is skipped.