Need opinions on round mufflers

Desert Stallion

Founding Member
Aug 5, 2001
Queen Creek, AZ
Okay, there's lots of stuff out there about oval mufflers for stock-style cat-backs, but I'm looking for opinions about round mufflers for a side-exhaust project.

So, there's UltraFlow rounds, UltraFlow Bullet's, MagnaPak's, Moroso round chambered's, your typical glasspax mufflers, etc. Who here uses them, and what do they sound like?

The only time I've heard UltraFlow's was a set of dumped Bullet's on a modified Firechicken with 3" dual exhaust, and the thing would just about shake the ground if you stood next to it.

That's not really what I'm after. I'd rather the sound be more subdued at idle, and then come alive when you get after it. I'm not sure if the reason those Bullet's were so loud was because of the 400+ horsies the Firechicken was making being thumped off the ground or what, but I thought UltraFlow's were supposed to be kinda quiet at idle and then roar when the gasses started flowing?

Oh well, that's why I'm askin' y'all, 'cause I've got no experience with the other offerings.

Thanks all.

• Sponsors (?)

I heard a stang go by with glasspacks the other day and it didnt seem right. It sounded like a redneck truck to me. Lots of crackles and pops are good if you are eating rice crispies. I like a low rumble, not raspy high pitched tones. The packs are very quiet at idle and at an even rpm, there is no drone. But I will take my drone over the nasty sound at WOT and deceleration. Thats my choice, its up to you.

The Bullets are very loud at almost any rpm but I would not reccomend them for a stock type car, they are really made for higher HP, higher rpm combos.

The MAC Flowpaths have a nice sound at idle then roar up top, I had them on my old combo and really liked the sound. Something different from the standard 2 chamber FLowmaster everyone has...

I run 3" round Ultraflos (not Bullets). I really like the sound - solid bassy idle but not obnoxious.

They're kinda big (6" diameter) though - I'm not sure they would help you on a side exit setup.

dump.jpg