Need tips on how to restore foxbody intake manifold cover.

Hello people, im very inexperienced when it comes to engine bay restoration so i cant figure out the best way to clean the intake manifold cover, atleast thats what i think it is, it is pretty corroded and I dont want to make matters worse by using a chemical that will mess up the aluminum.

Attachments

• 16141080059481902843141193067456.jpg
    16141080059481902843141193067456.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Sponsors (?)

The plate? or the entire manifold?

For the plate, sandblast it, paint it black, and then hit the top surface with an orbital sander.

For the manifold, it's painted, so you'll need to strip the old paint down, and prep the surface to repaint it. Given how many people practically give away stock HO manifolds, you may want to hope on the FB groups and see if you can pick up a better condition manifold and just swap them. People pretty much scrap those, so it should be short money, unless someone decides their $20 part is suddenly $200 because someone put up a WTB ad (which does happen unfortunately)

Reactions: 1 users
When I repainted my manifold, I got a can of Aircraft Stripper to take off the paint. Then some more clean up with acetone. Prime and paint.
You may need a little sanding on the bad areas, but take your time and it’ll come out nice!

Reactions: 1 user
I did the crinkle black engine paint on my upper and lower. On the cover plate I let it dry slightly then took a razor blade across the face and scraped off the soft paint leaving the black in the recessed areas. Let it dry completely then wrapped 600 sandpaper around block of wood and planed the surface to shine and give it a brushed look, then sprayed engine clear on whole intake.

intake small (2).jpg

Reactions: 1 user