Need to move my car to another shop mid mini-tub process....how to transport

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
Long story short this shop i trusted to do work for me isnt delivering and the car needs to be moved...im practically sick over this ordeal....i cant continue to let them work on it....as of now they have the tubs cut out and notched the frame...rear end is still in place via upper and lower control arms...a buddy has a car hauler i can borrow...whats the best method for me to safely load the car and tow given its current state?...i have a 6hr drive from this shop to the new shop.

• Sponsors (?)

Without seeing it, I think your best bet is to build a wooden dolly and strap the car to it.
I stole this pic from Google, but something like this.
558059_body.jpg

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Not at the moment but i guess they could be?...the reason im asking this is bc i havent notified the shop yet...i will be doing so monday and they are 4hrs from me. So when i ask them to get it ready to be transported via trailer i want to be prepared when i go down in case i need to bring extra stuff. They havent been the friendliest people to deal with and it really upsets me to be dealing with this. I searched for almost a year for a shop and all decent ones are hours from where i live (rural area)...and of the few that even responded to my inquiries this place seemed the best for what i was looking for...needless to say ive already spent way more money than i believe i should for the little bit of work thats been done and after our last conversation i dont feel comfortable having him continue.

Im glad u mentioned that bc ive been so flustered i was trying to figure out what i was going to do...and gas tank etc is obviously out so ill just have to push it onto the trailer...the trip should be mostly highways which is good...you think the frame cut is okay to travel with? I dont tow much if you cant tell lol.

If they've been a problem to deal with when they think you're still their customer, and they think they're still gonna make money on this car, all of that will change tomorrow.
They'll probably get worse.
If they cut the junk out of the inner frame rail to make room for the wheel tub, they more than likely cut the upper stock spring perch away too (I would have). And unless they have fitted an upper shock mount in there will be no way to keep the car off of the tires when they put the car on its suspension. You can cut a couple of 4x4 wood blocks that will sit on top of the axle and the bottom of the frame to serve as a temp "wedge" to act or serve as a coil over to keep the car off of its tires instead.

If they have fabricated both upper and lower shock mounts, then they could just build simple tube spacers that will go in place of the coil over that would be cut and welded to ride height.

Depending on weather conditions I would spray some weld through primer to the bare metal. I would also tarp and seal the weather out of the back the best you can with a tarp and plastic assuming this is a open trailer.

They havent fabricated any shock mounts etc...another issue ive been having with them. I had a whole layout of what i wanted and what i needed done and would require their knowledge to make sure everything works properly. He hasnt done anything about shock mounts yet etc. Been 3 months and this is all thats done. I stripped the whole car except the fuel tank so i could drive it on and off the trailer so it was ready to be worked on. I dont know if the spring perch has been cut yet but after reviewing the pics i believe it is. Maybe the 4x4 blocks will work and i can run a strap around the housing and up through the tubs to hold it all together.

I know they will probably be worse after...its one of my biggest fears at the moment...and as i stated its a 4hr trip for me and the soonest i can go isnt until next week. I dont want them to continue doing anymore work though and racking up anymore time than is necessary for me to safely transport.

Last edited: