New Carpet, Steering Wheel, Clock Spring..PICS!!

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Finally put a full day aside to get some interior work done.

Got the clock spring in and YUP, it was bad...rotated endlessly without stopping. New one went in fairly easily. Had FIVE airbag codes to clear, but they all cleared. Replaced torque pins in power window motor to fix 'shutter'...works fine. Got the new black carpet in...kinda tough. Got the new FR500 steering wheel in fairly easily. Got several plastic parts painted, and so far so good.

Here are some pics:

Nasty Old Carpet:

2359569IMG0724.JPG

NO CARPET:

2359570IMG0725a.jpg

WORKING on Carpet:

2359571IMG0726a.jpg

Cleaned Console Before Painting:

2359572IMG0728.JPG

OLD Airbag (Color)

2359567IMG0716.JPG

Painted Airbag:

2359568IMG0721.JPG

Wide View (not quite finished)

2359573IMG0729a.jpg

Steering Wheel Close up:

2359574IMG0730.JPG

Center Console:

2359575IMG0731a.jpg

The front Side kick panels and the door sills were picked up from a junk yard in black. I painted the bottom halves of the rear side panels (they are one solid piece with top half black and bottom half the interior color). Still have to paint the 2 doors and the dash. Will try to pick up a glove box door from the junkyard in black also.

All in all a good day for only 7 hours work on a not-so-hot day.

Enjoy!
RC

Attachments

• 2359569IMG0724.JPG
    2359569IMG0724.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 2359570IMG0725a.jpg
    2359570IMG0725a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2359571IMG0726a.jpg
    2359571IMG0726a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 2359572IMG0728.JPG
    2359572IMG0728.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 2359567IMG0716.JPG
    2359567IMG0716.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 2359568IMG0721.JPG
    2359568IMG0721.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 2359573IMG0729a.jpg
    2359573IMG0729a.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 2359574IMG0730.JPG
    2359574IMG0730.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 2359575IMG0731a.jpg
    2359575IMG0731a.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Sponsors (?)

That looks great man! Awesome job on the painting, what did you use? I've always liked the black/tan two-tone look like you've done.

Maybe one day I'll get around to doing mine.

Thanks...but it will not be two-tone...Im going to ALL black. Only reason is I want these Black leather seat covers with red down the center and red pony on head rest. I can do black/tan or black/red, but not all three.

Is that 6 aftermarket gauges? Do they even make that many?!!?!

YUP: WIth the blower, you need the FP and Boos (on clock pod). I had the Oil and Water Temp on the A-Pillar. And now, since Im doing my own tuning and I got my hands on the gauge bezel with the extra gauge holders, I invested in the Wide-band A/F gauge, and then picked up the Voltmeter to complete the bezel.

Thanks
RC

That looks great man! Awesome job on the painting, what did you use? I've always liked the black/tan two-tone look like you've done.

Maybe one day I'll get around to doing mine.

EDIT: Oh, and where did you get your carpet?

Paint is SEM, with the Vinyl prep spray and Bulldog Adhesive used before spraying.

Carpet and wheel are from latemodel restoration.

RC

Looks real good in pics and you know how pics make small things jump out. I would say some of that stuff looks better than stock/factory black. Great job.

I would say that photography is a "mini" hobby of mine. I have nice Digital Canon Rebel XT that takes awesome pics. I really dont even think My pics came ou that nicely.

That SEM is great Stuff...The reason it took so long to do this is I wanted to do it right. Im still trying to decide the best way to color the black rug-like fabric on the bottom of the doors. I actually thought about using the Ritz Dye that you use on clothes...just dissolving it in water and sponging that part...any thoughts :shrug:
RC

look's good,RC.:nice:

when you get the glove box door,try to get one from a 94-95.i tried one from a 96 and it don't look quite right.it did not close as "tight",i could see a larger gap between the door and dash.

again,nice work.

looks good RC.... told you man, the color of the steering wheel is not TOO far off... i love mine i definitely swear by it!

Yeah, you can see in the FIRST pic of the SW that it looks more black...That is what I see when I look in the car :nice:

Even it is a little off... SO WHAT....It's brand new, looks HOT and adds some new-car smell to my old car!! :nice:
RC

fabric dye I have no clue on...

However, if you can remove the carpet looking strip. I would maybe look into making a foam/vinyl (or even sued for the whole thing) pad on some kind of backing to glue in its place. You could stitch in a custom logo or other piece of vinyl/fabric and even your screen name in the body color or something. You would not need much foam maybe 1/4-1/2in thick and since its not a heavy/big use thing I would think cardboard as a backing would work.

Some buddies used to make their own truck bed covers like this in HS. One used different colors to even make a Z71 insert. It would be on a much smaller scale.

then you can just paint the door you have and if you ever want to change or add to it you can do whenever you want.

Looks like your making me a believer out of this SEM stuff. I also have the black/tan int. Definately want all black though. Looks like im going to look up this stuff. Also have the bezel gauge pods too.

looks great. are you planing on continueing the red in the center section down further to encircle the shifter. it looks kinda half done where it stops now

Yes I am.... I had it like that with the Auto. When I put the Shifter for the 5 speed on, it stood out right away.. will complete when I get a chance.

The steering wheel is a jarring mismatch
It looks a LOT better in person. For $175 I am leaving it the way it is.. It looks and feels great.

what is a clock spring anyway?

IMG_3259.jpg

The airbag and horn connect to it, then the thin flat wires are wrapped around a reel, so that when the wheel turns, the wires move with it. When you take out the rack and pinion, it allows your steering wheel to turn freely. If you do not lock your steering wheel in place until you put the rack back on, it may over rotate. The Steering wheel is free to turn about 2 full rotations either way until the clock spring stretches beyond the limits. When we took mine off, that is probably what we did...FUTURE WARNING TO THOSE WHO TAKE THE STEERING RACK OFF IN THE FUTURE!!

RC

Attachments

• IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 111