New clutch cable squeaky

thinker

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2002
Corona, Ca
I installed a bbk adjustable clutch cable and quadrant. After installing it and do a few quick shifts on WOT, it sounds like the cable is squeaking when i apply pressure to the clutch to shift. Is this normal? Also when I was racing the other night, twice I had troubles shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it just wouldnt go into 3rd. It actually grinded a little bit, sorta loud heh and scary. I just put a new clutch, pressure plate & throwout bearing in. everything has about 50 miles on it so far. Spec said to break it in around 450 miles, YES i know i should do that before I start racing but last night i couldnt resist :nice:

thx in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You probally need to adjust the cable or the firewall adjuster, that would probally fix the shifting problems. I have heard that one bad thing about aftermarket cables with a stiffer than stock clutch is they have a rep about stretching. The squeek is most likley a throw out berring, hate to tell you this, but then again I can't be sure.

Oh yeah, does it squeek with the car still and the engine off, or just when running? If it only does it when running, I am pretty sure it's the TOB. If when parked also, it very well could be anything where there is friction. To find, have one person pump the clutch while the other paws around finding the source. Good luck.