New Cobra pictures

• Sponsors (?)

That's a real nice car, congrats on the grab. Might want to check the buck tag though, I don't think it's really a Cobra. Then again, the Thundersnake really isn't a Cobra, but it's done up like one so I call it one :).

dmoody said:
>I don't think it's really a Cobra

I noticed that the door panels aren't correct for a Cobra II, yet they match the rest of the interior.. out of curiosity ..what did u notice Sal that makes you say that?

d

Well, it's almost impossible to tell for sure nowadays, because so much can be changed over the years. It's got a 76 grille, so I'm assuming it's a 76, possibly a 77 with changed parts. There's no grille snake, but that can be stolen or removed. It's got rear louvers, which the 76/early 77s didn't come with, so that kind of eludes to a prior owner trying to make it look like a Cobra and not knowing about the louvers. It doesn't have Cobra taillight bezels (at least from what I can see). It doesn't have a Cobra hoodscoop. It's been repainted, so you can't tell by the stripes. The only thing that kind of gives it away is the door panels. I can't see someone taking off Cobra door panels to put on standard 2+2 panels. But that's just what my OEM eye spots, and like I said there's tons that can be changed on these cars of the years, so nobody knows for sure but the bucktag ;).

Regarless, it's a beautiful car :D.

I'm not sure if it's a real Cobra or not, the bucktag is long gone. I spoke with the guy who painted the car, and rebuilt the trans, he claims it was a cobra, but that all the door panels were junk so they were replaced with just blue ones, and the louvers were an add on. The guy I bought the car from said he didn;t like the "COBRAII" on the bottom of the door and just had whoever do the stripping put on Mustang. I wasn;t really concerned wether or not it was a real cobra, after all the original motor is gone, and I got it for a very good price. I just need to get some things fixed and some nterior work done.

It is a beautiful car and as far as Cobra II or not.. that doesn't detract from the looks of it. However I've been in this hobby so long... I've picked up bits and pieces of knowledge as to what makes a Cobra II and what doesn't... anyway I've grown curious now for some reason. What really comprises a true Cobra II other than the obvious (spoilers, scoop, etc)?

d

dmoody said:
It is a beautiful car and as far as Cobra II or not.. that doesn't detract from the looks of it. However I've been in this hobby so long... I've picked up bits and pieces of knowledge as to what makes a Cobra II and what doesn't... anyway I've grown curious now for some reason. What really comprises a true Cobra II other than the obvious (spoilers, scoop, etc)?

d

I know some of the obvious....Spoilers, scoops, dash bezels were the brushed aluminum, sport appearence package, front and rear sway bars. I went look at a CObra II last summer that was in Virginia, buck tag matched the vin, it was a CObra II with the build tag and window sticker, little old ladies car. This car had no stripes, was painted sort of a kelly green, no spoilers and had sway bars with black interior and CObra II door panels, when she ordered it she said it had to be brought down from Canada. She said she liked the car but didn;t like the "flashy" spoilers and such.

Not all Cobra II's had the rear sway bar though. I know of a couple that didn't. Some didn't even get the larger front bar. The front/rear combo has always been a mystery. Why did some cars get the rear bars and some not? I bought a 78 plain coupe had a rear bar. I can't remember if the 78 Ghia had a rear bar or not. I've only seen a couple of the larger front bars. I got to a yard 20 minutes too late for the one a a$$hole was torching the front suspension out for a street rod :notnice:. The other I found in a yard and I got it on my car now. It almost seems like all the 78's less the 4cyl cars got them but I bet that can be proven incorrect as well. :shrug: Anyone have a real clue as to what decided if a rear bar was installed or not?

Tim

Hmm, I've had a lot of Mustang IIs, and the only two that had rear sway bars were the 77.5 (built to 78 specs) and the Thundersnake, which is a 78. I've never seen a rear bar on a regular 77 or earlier. That doesn't mean anything of course, just my observation. :)

As for the taillights, the 76 and I THINK early 77 (motortown) Cobras had the recess of the taillight bezel painted black, like a pinstripe.

I believe all '78s had the rear bar. I have seen them on all powertrains/models.

Cars with the competition suspension got the large front bar, and rear bar in years prior to '78.

My '77 CBII came with the small front/no rear bar combo.

I think Sal's right about the taillamp bezels, but the paint tends to wear off over the years.