Engine New Engine, Low Oil Pressure Issue

Kennedy23

Aug 7, 2017
Hello,

I have a 2010 Mustang Gt that recently had the motor go out. We bought a 2000 Romeo short block that is bored. 020 over and added an MMR hurricane oil pump. We put the 3v heads on it after having them machined, Ford racing intake, ford racing throttle body, ford racing hot rod cams, steeda CAI, long tube headers and x- pipe. A local race shop installed it and upon starting it, very low oil pressure, metal in the filter and spun a bearing. Pulled engine again, sent to engine shop and they find nothing wrong that would have caused it and are putting new bearings in. They are suggesting installing a ford racing HV oil pump instead of the MMR one as a precaution as they see no other issue. We have a small fortune in this car now as we have had the shop take the motor out twice essentially. Please help with suggestions as we are out of ideas...

• Sponsors (?)

A different engine builder took it back apart and said all clearances looked correct and has now reassembled it. They haven't got it our back in yet. Not sure what to do here if it doesn't work

I dunno....it's possible it's a pump problem but a HV pump may suck the oilpan dry. There shouldn't be any need for it but, the pump is cheap enough, compared with what you've got in so far.

It will cost power as well, due to windage and pumping losses. You don't want a clearance problem masked by a lot of oil. That will fail eventually. Did the shop checking tear it ALL the way down? Cam bearings, everything?

@Kennedy23
Be aware of this unusual possibility: I once installed a Mellings high volume oil pump in the 289 I rebuilt for my truck. It took hundreds of miles before it happened, most inconveniently. Moving to a new job across the country, truck quit on Navajo Reservation, middle of nowhere.

Was getting no spark. Pulled off distributor cap, jumped solenoid, cranking, rotor stood still! It dawned on me: Big Mellings pump = heavier load on the drive gears. Yanked distributor out, the Ford supplied roll pin had sheared! Fortunately, I had tools with me, a hacksaw, and set of number-drill bits. Picked one of suitable size, sawed off soft end of the bit, drove it into the gear, peined ends over, ran fine forever.

Don't know if later-model designs improved on the oil pump drive, since that skinny little roll-pin is gone, just sayin'. imp

Installing new bearings doesn't usually mean the cam bearings.

OPGs are driven off the crank on Mod motors, Coyotes too. There is no cam in block w. dizzy to drive them.

Reactions: 1 user
Installing new bearings doesn't usually mean the cam bearings.

OPGs are driven off the crank on Mod motors, Coyotes too. There is no cam in block w. dizzy to drive them.
@TT5.0ca
OTOH, ANY oil-pressurized bearings, including OHC bearings, may drastically lose a lot of oil pressure if they are badly worn. imp