New Fuel pump, wont start. Please Help! 99 V8 Mustang GT

Chantelb

Feb 3, 2020
Springfield,OR
Please Help! Changed the Fuel pump, primed it, it started and ran great! When i shut it off, a couple hours later when i get in and try to start it, it cranks over but wont start. Ive checked to make sure everything is plugged in on the gas tank, checked the fuel pump reset button in the trunk, and thats pushed in, all fuses check out okay. The only thing that is out of the ordinary is that the Fuel Rail under the hood, when i pushed the valve stem in no gas came out of it. It is completely dry. What do i do now? This is so frustrating.

• Sponsors(?)

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
Just wondering. Did you remove the battery during the work? There's a ground wire that goes from the radiator core support around the battery. This is the PCM and CCRM ground. This ground is sometimes disconnected during a battery swap.

Turn the key on but do NOT crank.

Does the check engine light come on?

Does the theft light go out after a 3 second "prove out"?

Otherwise let's work through the steps in the "crank with no start" check list.

Chantelb

Feb 3, 2020
Springfield,OR
No I didnt. However the battery was dead while doing the work. The check engine light does come on and the theft light does kick off. Thank you for your response

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
Cycle the key on/pause/off several times. Do you HEAR the fuel pump run at each key cycle?

What about the other items in the "crank with no start" check list?

Shuttleman83

Jun 30, 2019
USA
Check Valve can do this. Try bypassing the inertia switch, they sometimes get stuck or start losing voltage. Put a small fuse in the ends of it with wires and tape or zip tie it in. Only recommend doing this to test not for the long haul, you can get a new inertia switch on ebay cheap. Also, try new fuel pump relay or fuses, and make sure the fuel rail ground is connected under the hood.

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
Try bypassing the inertia switch, they sometimes get stuck or start losing voltage.
IMO there are simpler ways to rule out/in a problem at the IFS.

With a volt-ohm meter (VOM), test for and confirm key on power on both sides of the IFS switch. For some models years it will be necessary to cycle the key off/on to force the fuel pump to prime. This test will work best if the motor starts and runs with the fuel pump actually running (drawing current).

Another way to test is to use the voltage drop method ACROSS the IFS switch. If the IFS switch is bad, it will show up as a measurable voltage drop across the IFS switch. In normal operation the voltage drop across a IFS switch should be sooooooo small as to almost not be measurable.

IMO one of the advantages of the voltage drop testing method is that nothing has to be disconnected. Nor do you have to have long fused jumpers.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

Bonus. If it does turn out to be a voltage drop problem, if understood and followed a voltage drop test can be used to narrow down WHERE the weak connection is. Even down to the inch in some cases.

Chantelb

Feb 3, 2020
Springfield,OR
Everything checks out under the hood. But now it the coolent fan light won't turn off. The radiator is full of 50/50. When it had died once again on me I had took off the radiator cap which I realize I'm not supposed to until the engine cools. But there was little to no pressure when taking the cap off and my dash doesn't say it's over heating. Thank you guys for all your help I really appreciate it

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
But now it the coolent fan light won't turn off
A disconnected ECT sensor can cause the coolant fan to run all the time. Another possibility is that the PCM is not alive. At the very least the CCRM is not seeing a signal from the PCM.

Have you double checked that the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) is connected?

Does the cluster display the mileage at key on?

Does the check engine light go out during cranking? This is important because it means the PCM is "seeing" a signal from the CKP sensor.

You haven't answered the question about IF the fuel pump primes at each key on. Have you CONFIRMED key on power at the trunk mounted IFS switch?

1996+ Crank with no start check list

Did you go through the items in the crank with no start list? Did you see the part about confirming power in/out of Fuse F2.34, F2.2, and F2.8?

Go back to the basics. By that I mean confirming powers and grounds. The details matter here.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If you did it might make very short work of this problem. Knowing some key PID's might make all the difference in the world.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Last edited:

Chantelb

Feb 3, 2020
Springfield,OR
The etc sensor is connected, the fuel rail pressure has fuel and the pcm checks out okay. The Service engine soon light is on when I turn the key before trying to start it. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key before starting it as well. I honked up a OBD2 to my car and it gave no codes. But when I had went 5o the I/M readiness option everything checks out okay on the list except for the HCAT and AIR

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
The etc sensor is connected
It seems to me that most of the easy things have been checked. Things will get more complicated from here on. IMO you are working with one hand tied behind your back until you have access to an ODB2 scanner that can monitor PID's. The USB adapter is only $30.

For example. What does the PCM, Think's the value of:
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS)
  • RPM's during cranking
  • MAF during cranking.
  • ECT
  • IAT
Yes we know some new parts have been installed. BUT...........do you KNOW for certain what values the PCM are actually receiving?

Have you CONFIRMED spark during cranking?

Does the motor make good chug chug sounds during cranking?

What about the other items in the "crank with no start" check list?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Fuel pump wont prime SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
C 92 fox 5.0 won’t fire, pump issue? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
N Fuel 2013 Boss 302 Wont Start, Fuel Pump Not Priming. 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 1
J Car Wont Start Theft Flash Dash Or Is Fuel Pump Bad 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 1
F Fuel Pump Wont Kick Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
T 90 Lx Fuel Pump Stays Running When Key On Wont Start When Cold Any Ideas? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
C Fuel Pump Wont Run SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
stykthyn Cars Dies And Fuel Pump Wont Prime Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
L 1994 gt new fuel pump and ccrm wont start 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
fiveohlover fuel pump wont turn on! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
mob fuel pump wont turn off (yea I know) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
yooki fuel pump and other components wont shut off...help! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
mob Fuel pump wont prime Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
M Fuel pump wont stop priming. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
9 car wont start fuel pump stays on 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 0
9 car wont start fuel pump wont shut off Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
mob Fuel pump wont start but car runs, safe? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
coffmaad Fuel Pump Wont Turn On Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
8 firing the car up for the first time and fuel pump wont stop Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
B 91 mustang fuel pump runs continuously with key on but car wont start?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 21
E Fuel pump wont shut off?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 23
1 MAS air flow swap fuel pump wont turn on Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
Guero Piece Of **** Car Fuel Pump Wont prime!!!!!!!!! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 6
DemonGT Fuel wont go in when pumping gas? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
mac16 Fuel pump wont prime Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
Greenfive-oh8 Need help car wont start, possibly fuel pump Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
A Replaced Fuel Pump now wont start ?! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
W Fuel pump still wont turn on.... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
W Fuel pump wont turn on.... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
6SpeedLX fuel pump wont stop priming Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
S Need help!! Fuel pump wont turn on!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
teamgs How to test fuel pump if car wont start? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 15
8 Fuel pump wont turn on after motor swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
warmdye Fuel pump wont kick on Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
afast93stang HELP!!! Car turns over but wont start after replacing fuel pump!!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
S My Fuel pump wont prime, junked? which new one for 24lbers? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
B Fuel pump wont prime or pump... HELP! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
M fuel was cutting out, now car wont start? even after fuel pump replaced? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
S 1995 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 - Fuel Pump Pressure Issue 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 0
H How to know what year Fuel Pump to buy? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
trlps_ Fuel Pump causing stalling? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
T Fuel pump code issues 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
wbrockstar Help Needed To Identify Wiring Component On Hanger At Fuel Pump 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 0
C Unique Fuel Pump Issue Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 31
J Fuel Code 452. Fuel pump not working. Help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
N Fuel issue 2000 v6 SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
kiddiccarus Considering Changing Fuel Pump (Discussion With Myself) 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
0 Can I upgrade my fuel pump ahead of future blower? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
3 Fuel pump not priming 1991 Gt mustang Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
F fuel pump issues Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3