New guy here! Annoying resonating noise from supercharger...

Custom94Devil

Nov 4, 2005
Hey guys! Been reading this forum for awhile but Ive decided to post finally because of an annoying situation going on with the SC in my stang. The SC was installed on Memorial Day and was fine for about 2 months. The nice whistle of the charger was evident and all was good. This was until the summer heat and humidity set in and all of a sudden when my RPMs reached a grand and a half, the whistle begins to resonate ANNOYINGLY like an out of tune guitar string...It normally goes back to the generic whistle above 2 grand but if you ease the throttle and keep it at a grand and a half, the annoying resonating echo like whistle continues and doesnt go away. I does not occur until its AT a 1500 RPMS. I was thinking maybe it was the heat sensor in the air intake (since it seems to happen mostly in warmer weather) but its been happening sporatically in the cooler weather now too. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

what supercharger for one thing? how much boost? what size pullies both crank and blower? hows your belt tension? you have a boost gauge on it? what boost is it at when it whines? more info...

Powerdyne BD-11A blower 9 psi, the kit did not come with a separate boost gauge for inside the car. the belt tension seems fine...it has enough slack as well as tightness. i know the powerdynes have been known for belt slippage which causes pulley squeeks, but this happened after tightening the pulley/belt on the charger. the noise seems to be coming from near the cold air induction

I havent had this prob on a super charger but on turbos when it does that the bearings are shot, is it getting enough oil? if you grab the impellar doe sit have any play in it?? Youo didnt say if you did the install yourself?? if Not take it back. Usually they warranty it if its under a year.

my bro and i installed it...he is a certified mechanic so i trust in him that its working properly...the SC is self contained, no oil needed. the car runs like a helldog...great performance from the SC, no obvious running problems, just the damn resonating noise is irritating the hell out of me. lol. from the sound of it, its not coming from the SC itself, but from the cold air intake leading to the SC...i was thinking maybe it was a heat sensor. my bro told me he got the same noise at a certain rpm level in his cougar and it ended up being the sensor. i was just wanting to see if anyone else had come across this problem as well.

oh... this is just the problem with your cold air intake

i doubt it has anything to do with your SC

i suggest moving the location of your cold air intake/filter

when mine was in the engine bay it whistled, but in the fender, nothing at all (that i can hear)