• Community Forums
  • The Welcome Wagon

New Member...no experience!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CtotheJ
  • Start date Start date Apr 22, 2019
C

CtotheJ

Member
Apr 22, 2019
33
8
18
Houston, TX
Apr 22, 2019
#1
  • Apr 22, 2019
  • #1
Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a bit of restoration on my wife's '89 GT Convertible, but I'm not a mechanic by any means. I'm an IT guy by trade, but I feel pretty confident in my ability to follow instructions.

First order of business is the fuel pump that has died (about 95% sure that's the issue) so it won't start by normal means. The car has been sitting for about 6 years. I always remember when turning the ignition, you could hear a very audible whine/buzz from the trunk area, which I guess was the fuel pump doing it's thing. It no longer makes that noise; just a couple of clicks from the engine bay which I think is the fuel relay. I removed the air filter cover and shot some starter fluid into the intake while my wife turned the ignition and it will run as long as I spray fluid.

I've got a few other little things on my list like the little rear windows that don't roll up completely, brakes need to be looked at, drain and replace all fluids, and I'm planning on replacing all rubber bushings, hoses and belts. I suppose I'll do the weatherstripping if it bothers her.

All in all it's in great shape already even though everything is original. It's a 1 owner car that has lived in a garage for it's entire life and only has 78k miles. Never wrecked or raced at all.

I'm super excited to get it running again!
 
Reactions: EX-SSP

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,063
10,686
213
polk county florida
Apr 22, 2019
#2
  • Apr 22, 2019
  • #2
Welcome to stangnet, get over to the fox forums and post some pics of what your working with. the members are a talented bunch and are willing to share their knowledge, just remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers and I'm in charge of those,
 
Reactions: EX-SSP

EX-SSP

Active Member
Apr 16, 2019
81
41
28
New York
Apr 22, 2019
#3
  • Apr 22, 2019
  • #3
Welcome! It's a worthwhile journey for sure.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

P
New here
  • PortCity
  • Jun 9, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
2
Views
147
The Welcome Wagon Jun 9, 2026
AeroCoupe
N
New Member from New York
  • NYFox
  • Jan 19, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
1K
The Welcome Wagon Jan 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
92 5.0 almost starts
  • Steverino
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
167
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
M
Old/new guy
  • mustangtoby
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
2
Views
119
The Welcome Wagon Aug 18, 2026
josep4
Engine Hiccup at full throttle
  • keel
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
31
Views
938
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
keel
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Community Forums
  • The Welcome Wagon
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?