New member with 96 GT Convert

carcare442

Dec 7, 2009
My name is Fred. I have a gorgeous red, black leather, 5 speed 96 GT Convertible I bought off Ebay from an old gentleman last June with only 46,000 miles. I have restored and owned muscle cars and Corvettes over the years but managed to sell or otherwise lose them when finances got tight. Never thought I would be able to own a neat v-8, rear-wheel drive convertible car again.

I came across this site googling about needing an H-pipe or not. My car's previous owner put Flowmasters on it but unless you get on it, it sort of drones along, due to having the H pipe. I want to hear the individual exhaust pulses. Even my 94 Buick Roadmaster LT 1 wagon didn't have an H pipe.

Why do I heed it? Also, I doubt I can get a shop to cut it out. Suspect I'll have to buy a steel replacement, cut it out, weld up the holes, and install the pieces myself.

Any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

Do I need an "H Pipe?

Georgia. Its illegal by federal law to alter anything forward of the back flange of the cat except such as installing something that's been certified to meet pollution standards. My question is will removing the H pipe effect the car's performance. I doubt it.

Thanks,

Fred