New Misfire? Please help me, help her...

91stangy

Jun 11, 2003
About 5 days ago my car starting acting funny. I start up the car (cold) and have no problems, she runs like a champ. I can drive around town with no problems until my car reaches the 180 degree mark (I have a 180 thermostat so it doesn't really go over, maybe 190-200 on a hot day). When she gets warmed up and hot, the car begins to what it feels like, misfire in lower RPMs (to about 2000, but remains slightly after but not as frequent). It doesn't give me a horrible lag, but enough that I feel it and hear it slightly in the exhaust while accelerating. It's enough to know something is not normal. I have no idea why this problem has arose and how.

Things I did before I noticed the problem:

I installed a new power steering pump and power steering pressure line hose. I wouldn't expect this to be my problem, but I checked the center spark plug wire that goes to the ignition coil from the dizzy to make sure it was seated properly because I had moved the wire out of my way. It was fine, but I decided to change it anyway and the car ran a little better or at least I told myself it did.

I also decided after the install to hose down my engine bay to get rid of most of the ATF from the broken pump. I tried to be gentle and not spray everything or too hard.

It was after these two things that I noticed this problem...

I have just changed my fuel filter hoping that was the problem. It wasn't. I have semi-new spark plug wires (ford racing) and I have relatively new spark plugs, gaped correctly. I am going to replace my cap and rotor, though they do not look as if they really need to be changed. But who knows...

I was wondering could this be my TFI/ignition module on the distributor. Or has anyone had this problem or know of a remedy. I appreciate all help, it's driving me insane. I just want to enjoy driving again and not think about it... Thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

I would take your TFI to like autozone and see if they can test it there. I know my local one does. Sounds like the issue I had and it was a bad TFI when it got Hot.

If possible try to get the thing hot when they test it.

I took it off in their parking lot before i had the tested when I knew the car was messing up.