New Pony Owner

Jared Hammel

May 11, 2017
Hello everyone and thank you for having me on the forum. I will start working on my 69 Coupe soon. I and going to rebuild the 302 with a few upgrades. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the original C4 tranny with a 6 speed automatic? I haven't searched this forum yet, and couldn't find anything real on my short google search. I was posting my "new user" post and thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Jared, welcome to stangnet.

Sure to can swap them. What 6 speed? T56? M82?

I'll move your thread over to our Classic subforum. You'll get a detailed response from the guys there and help with other modifications you might be planning.

Good to have you with us.

Thanks for the reply, Dave! I'm not sure. This will be my first rebuild. I plan to build the 302 somewhat. It's already bores .30 and I want to go direct injected. I'm debating on a supercharger. I know I need a tranny that will be able to take the extra horses and I want a 6 speed auto mainly because I suck at driving manual... I just don't know what the best tranny is or what all I will need to buy/do.

Ah, you want to put a six speed auto. Sorry, thought you were meaning a six speed manual.

Scratch my previous comment. I'll have to leap To my go to answer here. I don't know.

One of the guys in this section will know though.

As for direct injection? Do you just mean fuel injection?

Yes. Fuel injected. I decided that my 302 will be my "modern rebuild" and my 351w will be my "as original as possible rebuild" ha ha my 302 is already automatic. But if it's easier to go to manual, I'm not opposed to it. I would actually like to have a manual. I'll just need to learn a little more. Any pros and cons to each that I should be aware of?