New Starter, Battery, Cables And Terminals. Randomly Starts...randomly Doesn't

Zelopan

Apr 30, 2017
Hi everyone. Was previously a member but forgot all the login stuff so just made a new one.

I've had a 98 v6 5speed since 2003. Have replaced damn near everything on it. Learned a ton on different systems but recently I'm stumped.

Had what I assumed was a bad starter... solenoid at the least but figured replace the whole starter. Wow was that not fun at all...

Started up just fine at first... then not even a click. Put new terminals on along with a new battery . Took alternator off and had it tested... it was fine.

Since the new starter when it does run my instrument cluster goes insane. Oil pressure all over the place... battery shows low and fluctuates along with tach maxing out when just changing gears. Ended up putting new plugs wires and fresh oil plus filters just to make sure all was well.

Grounds look good and tight. Starter is connected well. Fuses and relays look good. When I wiggled the positive line that runs to the passenger side harnesses it worked fine for about a week. Today walked outside to fire it up... and not even a click.

Is there a specific wire or connection to test with a multimeter? Wiggled the wire again and nothing. Gauges come on... radio comes on... but no attempt to turn over. It has to be electrical... but my knowledge is still in its infancy in that area.

Any knowledge or wisdom... pointers...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time..

• Sponsors (?)

Here's some information on howto perform a voltage drop test that is exactly what is needed in this case. It's almost certain there's a weak connection in the battery and charging system. The voltage drop tests will help to narrow down exactly where the problem is.

In the video links note how Eric O at SMA uses this test to isolate exactly where the weak connection was.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/