New to the board and need some help

danf1973

Sep 16, 2009
I have a 69 302 mustang, little history behind it I had to replace some old parts due to being old then the car stopped working.... I replaced the battery cables all 3 the volt reg, starter relay,battery and alternator and all the plugs and wires cap/rotor carb(still a 2bb) and it wouln't start. I traced the problem to the coil which I also replaced. When putting on a test lite I get very little lite very little. I tested the spark plugs by grounding of the frame 1/8inch you no and no spark. So I ran a wire from the battery last nite to the coil and it started up but boy it was idling very very high and when you pushed down on the acc linkage it would make a very loud belt sound noise? I even sprayed the belts which made it better just at idle but loud when not. When I turned the key off the car still ran???? till i pulled the battery?? I also replaced the 2 dash fuses that were blown any help would be great thanks..
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Dan
Sounds like several problems. 1st don't run a wire to the coil from the battery. The ignition wire to the coil either goes to a resistor or is a resister wire, You will burn the points and condenser out if you put 12 volts to the coil. The plugs not firing are most likely related to the ignition wire to the coil. Either a fuse or a bad wire.
Idle to high ? set the idle lower. A very loud belt sound noise, Tighten the belts.
The reason it kept running is because you bypassed the ignition, That's how they used to "Hot wire" a car. Run a wire like you did and then turn the engine over by jumping the starter relay with a screwdriver.

I would say that now is the time to focus on the difference between a no start, and a no run condition.
If you turn the key, and it starts, but doesn't run, that is one condition.
If you turn the key and it won't start, but the engine will run if you bypass the starting system that is a different condition.
Determine why the car won't start, then worry about noises it makes while it's running.