• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

New to the board and need some help

  • Thread starter Thread starter danf1973
  • Start date Start date Sep 16, 2009
D

danf1973

New Member
Sep 16, 2009
1
0
0
Sep 16, 2009
#1
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • #1
I have a 69 302 mustang, little history behind it I had to replace some old parts due to being old then the car stopped working.... I replaced the battery cables all 3 the volt reg, starter relay,battery and alternator and all the plugs and wires cap/rotor carb(still a 2bb) and it wouln't start. I traced the problem to the coil which I also replaced. When putting on a test lite I get very little lite very little. I tested the spark plugs by grounding of the frame 1/8inch you no and no spark. So I ran a wire from the battery last nite to the coil and it started up but boy it was idling very very high and when you pushed down on the acc linkage it would make a very loud belt sound noise? I even sprayed the belts which made it better just at idle but loud when not. When I turned the key off the car still ran???? till i pulled the battery?? I also replaced the 2 dash fuses that were blown any help would be great thanks..
Dan
 
O

oh9mustang

Banned
Jul 27, 2008
138
0
0
Sep 16, 2009
#2
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • #2
Dan
Sounds like several problems. 1st don't run a wire to the coil from the battery. The ignition wire to the coil either goes to a resistor or is a resister wire, You will burn the points and condenser out if you put 12 volts to the coil. The plugs not firing are most likely related to the ignition wire to the coil. Either a fuse or a bad wire.
Idle to high ? set the idle lower. A very loud belt sound noise, Tighten the belts.
The reason it kept running is because you bypassed the ignition, That's how they used to "Hot wire" a car. Run a wire like you did and then turn the engine over by jumping the starter relay with a screwdriver.
 

JonK

Member
Jun 6, 2007
276
0
16
Nashville (Smyrna), TN
Sep 18, 2009
#3
  • Sep 18, 2009
  • #3
I replace my solenoid once and the new one was bad, it started and wouldn't turn off with the key, the new solenoid was bad and kept the ignition engaged. I had to pull the battery wire also.
Jon
 

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
1,352
15
69
Hicksville, NY
Sep 18, 2009
#4
  • Sep 18, 2009
  • #4
I would say that now is the time to focus on the difference between a no start, and a no run condition.
If you turn the key, and it starts, but doesn't run, that is one condition.
If you turn the key and it won't start, but the engine will run if you bypass the starting system that is a different condition.
Determine why the car won't start, then worry about noises it makes while it's running.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
169
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
D
Running both lean and rich with O2 heat codes
  • Danceswithfire5
  • Aug 30, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
127
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Sep 5, 2026
apple99Mustangdude
A
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
438
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
M
Help! 2003 GT misfire when hot
  • Modular03
  • Feb 10, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
506
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Feb 13, 2026
Mustang5L5
C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
309
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?