• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Next engine build

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rapid
  • Start date Start date Mar 6, 2010
R

Rapid

New Member
Mar 31, 2005
297
1
0
Columbia, SC
Mar 6, 2010
#1
  • Mar 6, 2010
  • #1
I need to build an engine. My 289 has been rebuilt three times and has 300K + on it. I want to buy a good 302 roller block to start the build. I use my car as a daily driver and the engine will sit in front of a T5Z and 3:55 gears. I will autocross a few times a year. I already have Edelbrock RPM heads and intake that I would like to re-use. My main question is how many cubes the intake and heads will handle up to 6K rpm. I would build a 331 for torque if the heads would handle the flow.

Is anyone running RPM heads on a 331?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Mar 7, 2010
#2
  • Mar 7, 2010
  • #2
Not sure how the heads compare, but I'm running 1.94/1.60 valved Canfields on my 331 fed by a repop Ford 3x2 setup (750 cfm total rated) cam is a Z303 augmented with 1.7 rockers. This motor's power comes on at 1500 and pulls to 6500. Redline is 7 grand. Tame enough for daily driving, rowdy enough at idle to turn heads. If the Z303 seems to wild for you, look at the EFI style grinds that are smaller. The Z is .587/.587 with a 228/.228* @ .050 lift 112* LSA. The wider LSA's of the EFI cams(112-116*) the carb's functioning in the lower rpms, while still giving good upper rpm performances and fuel economy.
 

hipo_p51

Member
Jun 13, 2008
199
2
19
Mar 7, 2010
#3
  • Mar 7, 2010
  • #3
Rapid said:
I need to build an engine. My 289 has been rebuilt three times and has 300K + on it. I want to buy a good 302 roller block to start the build. I use my car as a daily driver and the engine will sit in front of a T5Z and 3:55 gears. I will autocross a few times a year. I already have Edelbrock RPM heads and intake that I would like to re-use. My main question is how many cubes the intake and heads will handle up to 6K rpm. I would build a 331 for torque if the heads would handle the flow.

Is anyone running RPM heads on a 331?
Click to expand...

E. victor JR heads are nice!
 

Decurion

Member
Sep 28, 2006
353
0
16
Livonia, MI
Mar 7, 2010
#4
  • Mar 7, 2010
  • #4
A guy I used to work with ran those heads (ported by him at home) on a 347 with a spider intake, 235* solid roller, t5, 3.55 gear in a fox body and went as fast as 12.20s. Theyre not really ideal for strokers, but ported theyll be ok.
 
D

Damoborg

New Member
Feb 8, 2010
22
2
3
Mar 9, 2010
#5
  • Mar 9, 2010
  • #5
I had a 347 with those heads and intake and the performer RPM camshaft with 750 carb and 1 3/4" headers and 10:1 static C/R and it made a tad over 400HP on the engine dyno.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
  • Poll Poll
Stroking a Mexico 289 or newer roller 302
  • MaryJaneTheMustang
  • Aug 12, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
103
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Aug 12, 2026
Bullitt347
P
Vacuum
  • ProTechAutoServices
  • Aug 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
13
Views
256
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 2, 2026
Noobz347
J
Intake
  • James S
  • Jul 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
269
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 12, 2026
James S
J
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
514
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
D
First post 289 rebuild question!
  • Ddyer2868
  • Nov 24, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
312
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Dec 5, 2025
rednotch
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?