Nitrous guys

91ghp5.0

May 25, 2005
Somewhere
I wasn't quite sure whether or not to put this in tech or talk, but it seemed to be more of a talk question. So the question is....nitrous guys....what would i cost, for a basic NOS (or NX or w/e) Dry (or maybe wet?) kit....tuned, blah blah blah, out the door? Is it all worth my money....or should i look elsewhere? My car is plenty fast enough for me on the street right now, but occasionally, i could use that 75 hp. boost. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

I have not run nitrous yet, but plan to, and know those who do. From the start, it is he cheapest and easiest poweradder, as well as very effectve. Some of the basic kits arn't enough. You don't want the kind you push a button to activate. Not only does it make things more complicated but can lead to accidents and blown motors. What you want is a proper setup. You want one with:

wide open thottle switch, so it only comes on at WOT.
window switch - so it turns on and off at proper RPM's.
bottle heater - to keep bottle pressures correct.

For a 75 shot, you really don't need anything much, but like a supercharger with 6psi, your not really going to get much. If your going to spray, do at least a 100shot, and the reality is that wet shots are better. However, I would suggest a stronger fuel pump and to pull timing when your spraying, or use a MSD with a retard module.

I'm no expert, but this is what I know. Maby a nitrous guru will come in here and elaborate.

Get a 500shot of NOZZZ and dont get direct port because spraying in the throttle body is SO much better because you then get a chance of too much going to one cylinder so THEN u get an excuse to buy a new motor and start over doing things the right way!!!

Honestly I don't know too much about it. Like 90GT said, you want a window switch, NEVER just a "button" WOT switch running off gas pedal, and a bottle heat is good so u don't look like an idiot using a blow torch on your bottle. I think nitrous should always be the last resort, but that's just me.

I'm just looking for cheap, reliable speed (aren't we all? and those words dont belong in the same sentence). i killed a skittle from 30-60 with three people in the car the other day...but my top end lacks. i dont like losing to skittles! now that im off my rant....i'd love to go all motor or through down 6psi or so of an SC trim or a paxton 1000, but cash probably wont allow.

I had a Compucar wet kit on my car for years and it was great. Finally sold it when I bought my blower. Plan on spending $500 or so for the base kit. Then you have to factor in all the added gizmos. Purge kit (gotta have it IMO), bottle heater, remote bottle opener(a must if you have a notch), fuel pressure cut-off switch, spare bottle, nitrous pressure guage(another must-have), colder spark plugs, adjustable FPR and guage, dyno tune, etc. If you just get a 75 shot you'll get bored with it pretty fast. I think I had around $800 in my whole set-up by the time I was done. With my stock longblock I made 350rwhp and 435 rwtq.

i think i'll just have to see where i get this summer. im working quite a bit, and i should make a nice chunk of change, but i'll also be a freshman in college, so i'll need a nice chunk of change to get me through the year. i guess i'll see where i am cash wise at the end of the summer. btw mike, how is your gas mileage with the 42 lb'rs?