Fuel No Fuel but Fuel Pump Turns On

So, I just picked up this 87 mustang 5.0 as a project. The fuel pump turns on, but crank no start. It will start and run only off of starter fluid or gas if thrown in the throttle body. No gas on spark plugs when cranked. What should I do? Seems like fuel is going up the lines, but not coming out the injectors. Dropping whatever ideas would be greatly appreciated. Im new to the 5.0, so im learnin as i go! Also, I tried checking fuel pressure with a gauge instead of just removing one of the fuel lines from the tank, but cannot find the nipple that i put it on.

• Sponsors (?)

Check fuel pressure at the rail, if its low or none go back to the filter and check before after.... If it sat I would drop the tank anyway and go from there, blow the lines out, pull the rail and test the inectors. Sitting for long time tends to kill the fuel systems in these cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Check fuel pressure at the rail, if its low or none go back to the filter and check before after.... If it sat I would drop the tank anyway and go from there, blow the lines out, pull the rail and test the inectors. Sitting for long time tends to kill the fuel systems in these cars.
I have a fuel pump. Just gotta install it tomorrow. Ill check the rail too and see whats up with it. The car seemed like it sat for a while from all the grass on it lol.

Just be ready to order a fuel tank, the majority of them are pretty rusty these days if it sat with ethanol blend in it. You can generally refresh the system for under 300 if you shop around with a new tank, pump sending unit etc... There's a bunch of threads on it over the last couple years.

I’ve seen the rubber hose between the pump and the pickup assembly rot out. This will cause no fuel to the inlet side of the filter.

With that being said the guys are on point with the tank most likely being a wreck internally if it sat for some time with ethanol blended gasoline.

Reactions: 1 users
Check the easy things first. You need to find the Shrader valve on the fuel rail, and determine if you have adequate fuel pressure there.

I just went thru this with a bowtie that sat for 1.5 years. Ran on starter fluid and I could hear the pump, but low pressure at the fuel rail. I put 2 gallons of fresh gas in the tank, primed the pump a few times until it built pressure, and it fired right up. Yup, it was out of gas. (bad gauge cluster so no accurate gauges either)

Check the easy things first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Check and see if it is right by the fuel pressure regulator. I seem to recall some of the ‘86 cars having it there and I also want to say some have said their car just didn’t have one.

Couldnt find it. Ive seens videos of it being right next to the valve cover, but I cannot find one on that line at all.
Follow the line to the rear of the engine bay. My ‘86 LX has the Schrader valve all the way in the back, right behind the 10pin connectors. You have to lean over the motor and look straight down behind those connectors. My ‘86 GT had it behind the alternator. Why it’s different, I don’t know.

Attachments

• 8E41F111-DFFC-4F5E-8B60-0B827B11DF0A.jpeg
    8E41F111-DFFC-4F5E-8B60-0B827B11DF0A.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 53
Finding the schrader valve and testing the fuel pressure is great but
You will still need to fix the problem (faulty regulator of broken rubber hose in the tank)
You should be able to pull the gas tank and replace the pump by the time you can catch a flight right now
Good luck