No oil on my dipstick!?

I have a 96 gt with 75.000 miles on it. All stock except for a CAI i installed last month. I got her about 2 1/2 months ago and i got an oil change at jiffy lube, and got synthetic oil put in. Well today i checked my oil and no oil was on the dipstick. I had to put 2 quarts of oil in there, and the only reason i checked the oil was because another member here mentioned that he had no oil in his mustang after an oil cahnge. Well the car runs great no oil leaks on the floor, or smoke from the exhaust. The car jumps on demand and i love it. but why the low oil? My only guess is that these mustang burn oil due to the power it's pulling? I don't think that jiffy lube short changed me on the oil because i saw them put the oil in and check it. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Another possibility is that the Jiffy-Lube guys read the wrong line on their chart and only put 4 quarts in. Or simply lost count during the refill. Did you supply the oil yourself?

The mismarked dipstick TSB relates to '01 to '03 (or maybe '04) model years.

If the oil level is still OK after another 2 months, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well i've only had the 96 gt for about 2 months and this was my first oil change. No i didn't supply my own oil, I figure they do this regularly they should know how much goes in there. I'm almost due another oil change and this time i'll check it before i pull out of the shop.

mine's got about 118k on the clock and I just put in about 1/2 a quart today. I did my oil change in december and haven't put a lot of miles on since then...I don't know where it goes lol.

hotmustang331 said:
I really think those jiffy lube guys didnt put in enough oil.
That's my guess too. One thing I notice a lot of places do, is when they don't know exactly how much oil it takes, the fill it up until they can see it on the dipstick and are done with it. They don't take into consideration that the oil will settle or that a fair amount is situated in that empty filter thy just screwed on.

This is why you don't take your car to quick oil change places.

I have gone to a quick lube TWICE, and BOTH times they messed something up. Thankfully they were not my Mustangs. Ever since i do all my own oil changes or go to a real mechanic and have him do it with my oil and filter.

I know that not too many insurance companies will write business policies on oil change places because of the liability issues associated with them. For instance, if they have to pay $1500 per year for insurance and they forget to install just one oil drain plug, it'll cost the insurance company much more than that to replace the burnt motor. This is NOT a rare problem. Do it yourself!

Your car is burning the synthetic oil. The car will not smoke either. That oil is very very thin, and should not be put it old cars for that reason. Usually it causes the motor to leak all over the place. Swithc back to conventional. Synthetic is not necessary. I will never waste my money on it. My 96 gets the $1.89 a quart Castrol GTX conventional..never burns a drop and it runs great.

SVT32VDOHC said:
Your car is burning the synthetic oil. The car will not smoke either. That oil is very very thin, and should not be put it old cars for that reason. Usually it causes the motor to leak all over the place. Swithc back to conventional. Synthetic is not necessary. I will never waste my money on it. My 96 gets the $1.89 a quart Castrol GTX conventional..never burns a drop and it runs great.

Exactly. Many people might not believe it. A synthetic blend work well. My 90K mile Mystic uses a blend.