no power steering pump

So it appears that the previous owner of my 79 has been driving the car without a power steering pump, but still has a power steering box on it. Can this be done or do I need to change to a manual steering setup? It seems to drive ok, heavy, but ok

• Sponsors (?)

The power steering gear is supposed to get lubricated by fluid that circulates via the pump. So I'm wondering how proper lubrication happens without a pump. I say if manual steering was the preference, a manual steering gear needs to be swapped in.

Reactions: 1 user
It's been done many times over for years without issue.. You basically leave fluid in the wrack and lines and loop it. The problem is the steering is harder and more effort needed if you spent the money on an actual manual rack.

To swap the power steering rack only to manual rack would just require a manual rack with manual rack outter tie rod ends.

Reactions: 1 user
I got tired of my power steering lines leaking so I put a whole manual setup on the car. I got the Unisteer kit from Summit. It was the best I could find without spending money on a second Flaming River kit. I've used both and the Unisteer Kit for me is much easier. I run 245/45-17 fronts and have no issue at all with it being too much effort. And I'm old and cranky now and not some kid that will just put up with anything because it's cool. Those days are gone. I can even turn this around corners with one hand like normal. Parallel parking isn't great but how often do we do that? I've done the power rack with lines looped....absolutely hated it. Almost tore the foam off my steering wheel trying to turn it like that. The Unisteer Kit is very high quality.

I got tired of my power steering lines leaking so I put a whole manual setup on the car. I got the Unisteer kit from Summit. It was the best I could find without spending money on a second Flaming River kit. I've used both and the Unisteer Kit for me is much easier. I run 245/45-17 fronts and have no issue at all with it being too much effort. And I'm old and cranky now and not some kid that will just put up with anything because it's cool. Those days are gone. I can even turn this around corners with one hand like normal. Parallel parking isn't great but how often do we do that? I've done the power rack with lines looped....absolutely hated it. Almost tore the foam off my steering wheel trying to turn it like that. The Unisteer Kit is very high quality.
An lines are your friend . Best money I ever spent . Was a little pricey but it’s great . Ptfe Teflon on the high pressure side .

An lines are your friend . Best money I ever spent . Was a little pricey but it’s great . Ptfe Teflon on the high pressure side .
I agree. That's why I spent piles of money on the two Maximum Motorsports AN fittings. I tried the regular AN rack fittings that all the street rod guys use. Got them from Speedway I believe. They leaked. That's when I called MM and they said the very reason they made their own rack fittings was that the ones I had never worked in the first place with a Fox rack...I agreed with them. They put a shoulder on theirs that was supposed to fix this. It didn't for me. I still have all the braided AN lines and MM fittings. They aren't leaking now that they are in a box...lol. I went so far as to create engineering drawings of the rack orifice and all the various fittings. When put together in the drawing it was obvious why they didn't seal. I contacted the engineering dept at the rack manufacturer and we swapped drawings. They were baffled that their factory replacement lines didn't match up. I wasn't. I had piles of fluids as proof...lol. Same with MM. The shoulder they put on the fitting never reached the intended mating surface. And according to their drawings and the parts I measured and used, they never will contact. When both of their engineers had no answers, I gave up and ripped all of it off the car. I actually made an electronic power steering setup for the car but the manual kit I put on was so easy, the electronic setup is still on the shelf.

I agree. That's why I spent piles of money on the two Maximum Motorsports AN fittings. I tried the regular AN rack fittings that all the street rod guys use. Got them from Speedway I believe. They leaked. That's when I called MM and they said the very reason they made their own rack fittings was that the ones I had never worked in the first place with a Fox rack...I agreed with them. They put a shoulder on theirs that was supposed to fix this. It didn't for me. I still have all the braided AN lines and MM fittings. They aren't leaking now that they are in a box...lol. I went so far as to create engineering drawings of the rack orifice and all the various fittings. When put together in the drawing it was obvious why they didn't seal. I contacted the engineering dept at the rack manufacturer and we swapped drawings. They were baffled that their factory replacement lines didn't match up. I wasn't. I had piles of fluids as proof...lol. Same with MM. The shoulder they put on the fitting never reached the intended mating surface. And according to their drawings and the parts I measured and used, they never will contact. When both of their engineers had no answers, I gave up and ripped all of it off the car. I actually made an electronic power steering setup for the car but the manual kit I put on was so easy, the electronic setup is still on the shelf.
I have their fittings in the rack . High pressure is a fragola crimped line .

Low pressure an old return piece of fuel line . No leaks . Pump just has an earls adapter fitting with a 90 on it

95D6F95F-F6A7-416C-9DFD-00965C39235D.jpeg