No rear defroster, where is the relay???

Oct 30, 2020
WNC
O3 GT with no rear defroster. I have power at both fuses. Switch has power coming in and when pressed power leaving, but no power coming back from relay to illuminate switch.
defog trouble.PNG

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Did you check "behind center of dash"? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I found mine on my 2002 on the passenger side of the center console, up under the dash. The first pic is looking up at it from the passenger footwell. The connector is clipped onto a small metal tab. Just press the plastic release and it should slide down, then you can take the relay off of the connector. I felt and heard mine audibly click when I put the key in the ignition to ON and pressed the defroster switch. The wire colors also seem to agree with your diagram.

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_214937.jpg
    IMG_20221108_214937.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20221108_215201.jpg
    IMG_20221108_215201.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Did you check "behind center of dash"? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I found mine on my 2002 on the passenger side of the center console, up under the dash. The first pic is looking up at it from the passenger footwell. The connector is clipped onto a small metal tab. Just press the plastic release and it should slide down, then you can take the relay off of the connector. I felt and heard mine audibly click when I put the key in the ignition to ON and pressed the defroster switch. The wire colors also seem to agree with your diagram.

That figures, had the drivers side pulled apart, radio out. All the parts piled in the passenger seat. If it was snake it would have bit me. The wiring diagram should read Center console behind glove box. Popped glove box out last night in the dark and could see it. Will continue with trouble shooting it after work this evening. I owe you a beer.

Glad to help! :cheers:. People on this site have saved me a lot of time and pain over the years.

Seems like your measurements have it down to the culprit, but let us know how it works out! I'm curious how you source a replacement relay, I didn't find that part number available directly.

I won't mess with until my next day off. As far as a replacement goes, I will snag one off a 2000 parts car we have if its in the same location. While doing some research I found this. Looks like it maybe a standard relay. I will try it out and report back.
relay.PNG

Definitely the relay. It's a standard 5 pin relay in a fancy box to hold it on the chassis. Swapped with horn relay form my 2000, defogger relay is not in the same location and going hunting for it now. Looks like its all part of the switch on the 2000

Last edited: