• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Not your common waterpump problem!!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ebk06
  • Start date Start date Jul 19, 2007
E

ebk06

Member
Feb 23, 2007
113
12
18
Jul 19, 2007
#1
  • Jul 19, 2007
  • #1
Ok so I filled my radiator with fluid last friday (it was a gallon low ). Our car club had a 250 miles cruise on saturday (btw i have a 87' LX with a 5.0). Car ran great no problems but when i took the car out again monday I noticed it was getting hot. Well i checked the overflow tank and it was empty so i checked the radiator. Again it was a gallon low . I searched all over Stangnet and I found lots of info and decided a pressure tester was the only way i was going to find the leak since no fluid was ever on the ground, in the car, or smelled.
This morning I decided to drive it around and pop the hood to check one more time for fluid. Low and behold theres a bolt on the W/P leaking (the bolt thats just below the two hoses that connect to the intake). I remembered the guy i bought the car from said he just replaced the W/P a year ago and last time i took the car in to get some work done the shop had to remove the pump and noticed the bolt was stripped. They tapped it and placed a new bolt in there.
FINALLY my problem lol. Thats the bolt that appears to be leaking. Can I removed the bolt and place some kind of sealant on it to make sure it doesnt leak anymore? If so what can I use? And would this bolt allow a gallon of fluid to be leaked out in only a 250-300 miles cruise? I hope so because i was praying the head gasket isnt leaking too lol. thanks Stangnet!!!
 

samickguy15

Member
Sep 1, 2005
404
0
16
Delavan, IL
Jul 19, 2007
#2
  • Jul 19, 2007
  • #2
I would pull the bolt and put some high temp RTV on it. It will not be fun taking the bolt out next time as the RTV will be elastic and try to counter rotate the bolt every time you turn it, but at least it won't leak.
 

Blk91stang

Member
Jan 3, 2003
607
0
16
North Brunswick, NJ
Jul 19, 2007
#3
  • Jul 19, 2007
  • #3
Just be sure it's not the seep hole in the water pump that is draining instead of one of your bolts.

Drain the coolant as much as you can, take the bolt out, spray brake cleaner in the hole and allow to dry for a few minutes. Dab some Ultra Black RTV on the threads and tighten the bolt back in.

I suggest Ultra Black RTV cause I have seen White Teflon Thread Sealant leak and will never use it on my head studs again after what I been through.
 
E

ebk06

Member
Feb 23, 2007
113
12
18
Jul 19, 2007
#4
  • Jul 19, 2007
  • #4
ok thanks guys. And im 100% sure its not the weep hole. You can see the fluid running out of the bolt hole and its stained the w/p with the trail of antifreeze. no other signs of fluid anywhere else either.
 

408gt91

Member
Apr 29, 2007
114
0
16
N.H.
Jul 21, 2007
#5
  • Jul 21, 2007
  • #5
THAT LEAKING BOLT IS VERY COMMON,A LITTLE RTV,NO PROBLEM
 
E

ebk06

Member
Feb 23, 2007
113
12
18
Jul 21, 2007
#6
  • Jul 21, 2007
  • #6
Yea I believe that fixed it. I RTV'ed it let it dry overnight and drove it to work the next morning popped the hood and I didnt see the fluid running out anymore. I do need to find a new overflow tank though. Bought the car and it had a cheap autozone one and the cap pops off and fluid leaks out . But yea everything else is good :SNSign:
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
Idle control problems
  • miser143
  • Aug 28, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
143
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 29, 2026
DadLife0724
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
458
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
Electrical Code 29 again
  • Creomod
  • Jul 31, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
271
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 3, 2026
Creomod
Drivetrain 83’ Glx convertible C5 Trans help!
  • JacksonJared2113
  • Dec 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
462
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 26, 2025
JacksonJared2113
2
Running very very rich
  • 2esoteric
  • Oct 31, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
419
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?