O god, I just did the dumbest thing on my AOD install, quick question

Notchbackdrew

Mar 21, 2006
Lo & Behold I get everything bolted up, got the cross member on, got the starter in, trying to think if theres anything else.. ahh yes, the torque converter bolts!!! I forgot to put them in!!! :rolleyes:

Needless to say I got pretty frustrated because Im having to do this all by myself in my schools parking lot (embarrasing). Anyway, this is an aftermarket edge converter with Allen bolts. I know Andre from Edge told me I didnt have to use the nuts and I could just toss them, that being the case would I be able to thread in the allen bolts through the flex plate and into the converter from the outside using some medium grade lok-tite?

I dont see why not? Its the same basic principle, I just wanted to ask you guys first.

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

PoopDawg said:
If the converter is threaded for the converter bolts, then yes.. if not, then no... Easy way to find out... try to thread one in!!! lol

Your missing my point, yes I know the allen bolts screw in, im just wondering if Im able to thread them into the converter from the outside (from the flex plate into the converter rather then the OEM way of from the converter into the flex plate.)

Catch my drift?

I used medium strength lok-tite, also after getting the allen bolts in completely they stated spinning rather easily. No I didnt strip the threads as I backed each one of them out and started over. As soon as it looks like the head of the bolt is about to hit the flex plate, the bolt begins to turn rather easy. But there is a non threaded section on the bolt directly under the head of the bolt, I assume thats the reason why.

Anyway, should I use lock tite and washers??? Will medium strength get me by?

Notchbackdrew said:
Your missing my point, yes I know the allen bolts screw in, im just wondering if Im able to thread them into the converter from the outside (from the flex plate into the converter rather then the OEM way of from the converter into the flex plate.)

Catch my drift?

I used medium strength lok-tite, also after getting the allen bolts in completely they stated spinning rather easily. No I didnt strip the threads as I backed each one of them out and started over. As soon as it looks like the head of the bolt is about to hit the flex plate, the bolt begins to turn rather easy. But there is a non threaded section on the bolt directly under the head of the bolt, I assume thats the reason why.

Anyway, should I use lock tite and washers??? Will medium strength get me by?

I have always used the Permatex blue loc-tite,works good.

Is the flex plate threaded also?Souldnt be,I would think.

sounds like it won't go in that way notch, if it were me i'd disassemble the whole thing and put them in the right way, otherwise your torque converter could come loose on the freeway leaving you stranded 6o miles from home or something

Euphoric306 said:
sounds like it won't go in that way notch, if it were me i'd disassemble the whole thing and put them in the right way, otherwise your torque converter could come loose on the freeway leaving you stranded 6o miles from home or something

They went in just fine.... I used some medium strength lock-tite on the bolts as well. Im going to check them tommorow and make sure they are extremely tight. I really dont have the means to take this tranny completely out again, its sitting at my colleges parking lot. Im so scared Im about to get ticketed or towed.