Exhaust O2 sensor issue.

Window

Feb 13, 2017
89 5.0 runs fine cold until engine warms up after like 15 mins. CEL comes on and it starts sputtering and bucking on acceleration. Pull codes and get 41 and 91. So im going to replace my h-pipe with new cats and o2 sensors given they have 242xxx miles on them. My issue now is getting it to the exhaust shop to have it done. Can i just unplug my coolant temp sensor and get like 25 mins of operation so i avoid the 02 coming on when its warm and maybe get it to the shop without it bucking and backfiring?

• Sponsors (?)

Also on a related note i went to install a new oxygen sensor harness and when i got to the plug on the oil pan for the oil level that son of a gun didnt wanna budge. Does that plug just pop out like it seems it would or am i missing something?

The O2 sensor harnesses are transmission specific. Make sure that the harness is a match for the transmission type that is in your car.

The oil level sensor connector is a very firm pull slide off connector. -keep tugging on it...

Leave the O2 sensors disconnected and the computer should go inito open loop limp mode. That should reduce the buck & surge problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Sweet will unplug the sensors and limp 10 miles. I bought the wrong harness the 1st time, got the 91 to 93 one and noticed once i opened it. Wont make that mistake again. LMR didnt have the 89 harness which was weird but American Muscle did. And ill tug on that oil level sensor a little harder, I just wasnt sure and didnt wanna keep yankin and break something. Thanks a ton.