• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

Oil change gone wrong! (rant)

  • Thread starter Thread starter 68stang351
  • Start date Start date Jun 26, 2007

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
850
9
39
Savoy TX
Jun 26, 2007
#1
  • Jun 26, 2007
  • #1
When I loosened my drain plug the little adapter that went to it started turning too. That of course meant that it would leak like crazy if I didn't fix it.

So I undo all the stupid oil pan bolts so I can take it off and repair the drain. The stupid center link is in the way! So I go get the puller for tie rod ends, and have to take all the steering crap apart to get the oil pan out.

But I fixed it, and replaced all my tie rod boots with energy suspension boots, I think they will last a long time.

All because I wanted to change my oil. It wouldn't have been as bad if I would've expected to have to do all that, but I just wanted to change my freakin' oil for cryin out loud.

Oh well, it's over now, and it wasn't as bad as changing the oil pump with the engine in the car in my 90 GT.
 
R

ron67fb

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2001
1,117
0
36
SF Bay area, CA
Jun 27, 2007
#2
  • Jun 27, 2007
  • #2
Interesting, I did an oil pan change and only had to pull the crossmember. I had to twist the pan left and right to get it past the mains but it came out fine, and I even got an 8qt pan in there as a replacement. Maybe the extra width of the 351 pan has something to do with it.

Like yours, my drain plug adapter was stripped and I was losing oil really fast.
 

StangDreamin'

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
583
0
16
2nd Ocotillo bush east of the Colorado River; Sout
Jun 27, 2007
#3
  • Jun 27, 2007
  • #3
Shee-nizzit! You guys should see the big soft plastic/tupperware funnel I'm still heating/bending/forming to keep the oil filter sludge off Larry's front diff!

Still picking the melted-then-cooled plastic off my fingers; and it's not done yet
 

Jon350

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2001
201
0
0
SoCal
Jul 3, 2007
#4
  • Jul 3, 2007
  • #4
If it makes you feel anybetter. The ONE time I EVER got too lazy to change my own oil I brought my fastback to a Jiffy Lube. The dumb asses stripped my oil pan's drain bolt hole! They ended up paying for it, BUT I was seriously lucky that I had a mechanic friend with a shop literally on the other side of the street that was able to switch out the old pan with a new one that same day. Oil is the worst best necessity ever. The second you give it an inch.....well you know how it goes. Sorry to here about your issues. I've been there.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
592
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Oct 4, 2026
manicmechanic007
Who the hell puts the wrong spark plugs in a 3.8L?
  • snowstang
  • Mar 25, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
550
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 3, 2026
LILCBRA
S
Engine How does oil make its way into the front sump?
  • Sock_Monke
  • May 10, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
978
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 22, 2025
Chuckster101
C
C
C4 trans help needed
  • CPH89LX
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
306
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 28, 2026
CPH89LX
C
Engine Gas in my oil
  • limp
  • Jun 15, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
35
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 16, 2026
Mindseye007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?